Author
Topic: Best way to obtain CTM?  (Read 8807 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:25:07 am »

I was at my local CT the other day and when cashing out, I spotted several older coupons that the cashier had culled.  I asked if I could buy them and she let me have only what I could exchange with current CTM.  I offered to pay cash equivalent for the coupons but she said that the CTM is strictly accounted for at the end of the day.

How do serious collectors obtain large amounts of CTM?  Is it done through the store manager?

Dean

JB-2007
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:47:16 pm »

How do serious collectors obtain large amounts of CTM?  Is it done through the store manager?

Dean
I was wondering the same thing. Because when you go to Canadian tire i believe its for every 5 dollars you spend in cash you get about 5¢ in CT money, something like that. In order to obtain large amounts of CT money you really need to spend very large sums of money in the stores.
On the other hand, i believe they give more CT money at the CT gas stations. 
Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »

Asking the manager is probably best.
However if that doesnt work, I would try buying a really expensive item walk over to the returns and return it minus the CTM.
I remember a CBC (marketplace?) episode where they talked about that if you retuned an item without the CTM it would be subtracted from the cash returned.

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:23:07 am »

You are going to have to spend a very large amount of cash in order to get significant amounts of CTC money. I got 40¢ of CTM when I spent $100 cash recently, which is 0.4%; a pitiful amount IMO.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
jay4e
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 11:28:49 am »

The easiest way to get large amounts of CTC money would be to ask a collector of CTC money, they always have some on hand.  If you want to start a collection, often their stash of coupons, that they use for traders at the stores, has some great notes in them for a novice collector.

I have seen several auctions by the Toronto Police department on eBay also. The suggestion made by Skylark is also a good possibility to get some. But most managers are not collector friendly, they have a store to run.  You would probably have more success with the owner.

If all else fails, send me a PM I might be able to help you further!

Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield!
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:56:49 am »

Further to my original inquiry, I have discovered that sales associates at CT locations OUTSIDE of the GTA seem friendlier and are willing to dig through the CTM in their cash drawers for you.  On a recent trip to Campbellford, I scored 2 neat "running tire coupons" from the friendly cashier...

Dean

jay4e
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:16:26 pm »

That is the big city syndrome.  Smaller localities have more time and are friendlier!

JB-2007
  • Forum Moderators
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:54:41 pm »

I scored 2 neat "running tire coupons" from the friendly cashier...

Dean
Are these the smaller gas-bar coupons... Do they still accept these coupons at any Canadian Tire?
jay4e
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:26:18 am »

Are these the smaller gas-bar coupons... Do they still accept these coupons at any Canadian Tire?

Yes they are the smaller ones and yes the stores still accept, they then send them to be destroyed!

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27:42 pm »

I think some luck and being there at the right place, right time also plays a roll. It's not always about the volume, you can go through 1000$ worth of ctm and not find anything and you can also find some older ones or replacements in the pitiful amount they give you after buying something.  The volume could increase the probability of finding something, but you still have to get lucky.

Login with username, password and session length