Author
Topic: The hunt for Canada’s $1,000 bills:  (Read 20699 times)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »

One should never assume that pricing abnormalities will continue indefinitely.  Check out the results on paper money the next time the venue has some offered, and there's a good chance the prices will be much lower.  This is especially true if the bidders are not experienced collectors.

No hay banda  
tmort
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 01:56:59 am »

I like buying silver as well... and usually pick up a couple maples each month, but nothing with privy marks or any of the animals. I like to get just the basic maple as it's the closest to spot from my LCD. I've tried other auctions and looked and e-mailed a few locals on kijiji .... but all the prices are ridiculously high elsewhere.
[/quote]

I am considering starting buying some silver maple leafs. Where would you suggest a good place to buy is?

CPMS member
Shylo
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 06:26:03 pm »

I usually get mine from the local coin dealer.. (LCD).. it's usually about 2.00 - 2.50 over spot... depending on the amount I purchase.

Occasionally I find the odd silver coin .999 or pre '67 online at a bit better rate, but not by much. So for me I prefer just going down and picking it up and not having to pay shipping or wait a week for it to arrive.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 10:52:01 pm »

I am considering starting buying some silver maple leafs. Where would you suggest a good place to buy is?

Local dealers are the best. Otherwise buying them on-line from dealers is a hassle because most of them will not sell it unless you either pay by cheque or debit.

From my experience here locally I would say avoid tourist areas, avoid malls.

Another suggestion is to start by looking at the listing of CAND (Canadian Association of Numismatic Dealers) in your local area. Somebody mentioned spot + 2.50. That's a pretty good deal if you can get it. Generally my experience is that on the upswing of the price in silver  it is spot +3.50 on the down swing it is generally spot +3.00.

Believe me every cent adds because of the buy and sell spreads.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
tmort
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 11:53:20 pm »

Excellent, thanks guys. I will look for a local dealer.

CPMS member

Login with username, password and session length