Author
Topic: My first serial # error - NEW $20  (Read 7559 times)
johnjohn
« on: January 03, 2005, 03:52:17 am »

Their machine broke..

an obviously missing 6 with the top part of a 5 below the hole!!!

YIPEEE!!!
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 07:17:03 pm »

Congrats John, it is a good one.  Is it unc?

Tom
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 12:05:27 am »

Their machine broke..

an obviously missing 6 with the top part of a 5 below the hole!!!

YIPEEE!!!

Thats a really cool error! Where did you find it?
johnjohn
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 08:50:47 pm »

It's still crisp.  Not Unc and has small tear top middle.  Since it's my frist serial # error I'll keep it for now.  Some kids were trying to make change at a school play and I had $20 worth..  wow..  lucky huh?
JB-2007
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 12:13:38 am »

It's still crisp.  Not Unc and has small tear top middle.  Since it's my frist serial # error I'll keep it for now.  Some kids were trying to make change at a school play and I had $20 worth..  wow..  lucky huh?

You are very lucky to find a note like that... values wise though, ya not that much premium. Your note is only worth about $35... only??? Ya, i dont know why they dont have much premium. Its not easy to find such errors like that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 12:15:53 am by JB105 »
emsteph
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 12:23:13 am »

Your note is only worth about $35...

I would hope that it would be worth more than that?
If not, then I suggest one store it away for a few years, forget about it, and then see what it is worth in 20 years.

Question for the forum...What would you be willing to pay for such an item?

:)
Bob
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 11:21:35 am »

A person well known on this forum recently sold a 1954 $20 with a partial rotated serial number digit, VF condition, on eBay, for approx. $190 CDN.  However he listed it as a mismatched serial number instead of rotated digit.  The point he was making was that these partial digit errors are more valuable than the latest Charlton catalogue - page 326 - would suggest.  (There's an unhappy ending - payment was made with some kind of Paypal flim-flam and the end result was the note was stolen.) :'(

Collecting Canadian since 1955
JB-2007
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 09:20:27 pm »

A person well known on this forum recently sold a 1954 $20 with a partial rotated serial number digit, VF condition, on eBay, for approx. $190 CDN.  However he listed it as a mismatched serial number instead of rotated digit.  The point he was making was that these partial digit errors are more valuable than the latest Charlton catalogue - page 326 - would suggest.  (There's an unhappy ending - payment was made with some kind of Paypal flim-flam and the end result was the note was stolen.) :'(

Thats awful!  >:( Another reason why i hesitate to sell any of my notes over the net. Anyways charlton does seem to under value these sorts of errors. Yes according to charlton the note is worth 30-35$ tops but im sure you could sell it higher and get it.
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 12:04:19 am »

A couple of years ago, this lady working at a corner store got a Bird series $5 with major errors on it. Some customer got it out of an ATM and spent it there. The note "was" in UNC when she got it, but after like a million people handled it, the note was EF+. When she first got it, she thought it was a fake and handed it over to the R.C.M.P. who later returned it, then she showed a bunch of people at her store, co-workers, customers. She just stores it in a plastic bag, not even a note holder. I offered her $150 for it, but she was going to try and get a higher price on Ebay. She still claimed the note was UNC after all the handling.

But the note was printed off center, major misscut, part of the next note was showing on one side. And the litho and itaglio printing passes didn't match up, they were way out of register and I think the serial numbers where shifted too, but I can't quite remember, either printed too high or too low.
Just John
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 03:28:30 pm »

new account.  the web address purge wiped me out last time.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »

Yeah, 7 years of inactivity will do that.  :-[

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length