Author
Topic: Detained by Police for using crisp 2001 Journey $10  (Read 11470 times)
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 10:31:20 pm »

is it really sensible and practical to educate every cashier on every issue of Bank of Canada circulating legal tender?

Did I say or imply that cashiers today should be able to authenticate a 1937 note?

The protocol used by this particular pharmacy was strict but realistic.  We don't have the testimony of the cashier or store manager, so it would be unfair to say that they acted inappropriately.  At the end of the day, if you attempt to redeem an older bill and the businessperson refuses, don't make a scene, and offer to use another form of payment (like a debit card).  Ditto could be said if you brought your jar of pennies and wanted to use that to pay.  If there's a line of customers behind you, it doesn't matter if you're the King of Norway.  Pay, or get out of the way.

You blew the whole thing 100x out of proportion.

You can threaten the manager by telling that person they lost a customer, but they probably lost many other transactions by having staff tied up because of you insisting on getting your way.

Thanks for making me sound like a complete monster.  Much appreciated.

Marc :)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 11:03:20 pm »

OK, everyone... Let's take a deep breath there before continuing.

I'm fairly confident that nobody is trying to argue with anyone else.  I don't think anyone wants to make anyone else look like a monster.

Right, wrong or otherwise, I believe that everyone's objective is simply to share ideas and discuss the matter openly.

Granted, and I speak from experience here, it is very easy to misinterpret someone's words, or to have your words misinterpreted.

I caution everyone to think about what they write please and phrase things in such a way as to get your point across while minimizing the likelihood of a misunderstanding.  At the same time, when reading each others' words, please avoid interpreting them in a negative manner, as it is quite possible that that is not what the author meant.

Thank you!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »

A very educational thread for sure.  Thank you for sharing this story.

In defense of businesses, they are not obligated to take a payment if they deem it is not in their best interest to do so.  And let's be very very honest here... given that >99% of cash transactions will be made with the most current forms of circulating currency, is it really sensible and practical to educate every cashier on every issue of Bank of Canada circulating legal tender?  Some businesses do, many do not. 

It's been awhile but I believe Brent has it right.
This is an interesting subject.

mmars. I thought all retail in Canada had to accept all legal tender for debts,public or private.
Of course no business has to sell anyone anything,but if they agree to sell me X, are they not required to accept legal currency?
They may not be familiar with an older issue,but is that not their responsibility?

Of course we are splitting hairs now because if they will not take the note I present they are not agreeing to sell me anything.
The old chicken and egg analogy comes to mind.

In other words, I once posted here how I took a 1973 $1.00 note to a gas station in the very early 90's.The pimple faced 17 year old did not recognize it and we called the manager.
Fortunately for me he knew the note,although he was only in his twenties.

Would be a hoot to try that nowadays.Maybe I will!

Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »

I thought all retail in Canada had to accept all legal tender for debts,public or private.
Of course no business has to sell anyone anything,but if they agree to sell me X, are they not required to accept legal currency?
They may not be familiar with an older issue,but is that not their responsibility?

As outlined in the Currency Act, no business or individual is madated by law to accept any cut of circulating currency as a means to settle a debt.  "Legal Tender" just means the government guarantees to honor it.

Marc :)
stashthecash
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 02:07:33 pm »

Maybe you should go back to the same store with a 54 1000 bill....wonder if they think your part of a drug ring ... :D
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 01:28:39 am »

I apologize if my comments were received as offensive.  I have a habit of jumping back and forth between saying things in general and stating them to a specific recipient, and that can lead to confusion.

No hay banda  
Shylo
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 01:01:21 pm »

I simply have a craving for chocolate covered bon bons ever since the start of this thread.... dammit.. I'm trying to lose weight here!!! Down 20 lbs... another 50 to go!...

Now lets start talking cash and less about food dangit!

Ohh by the way.. I'm always willing to "hug it out" if a conflict does occur. :D
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 10:05:29 am »

I usually enjoy spending old money; I always ask at the bank what they have earmarked for return to the Bank of Canada.  I regularly get old ones and twos, sometimes even dollar coins (not loonies) and spend them.  I've also learned that if the person is under 25, I'm likely going to run into some confusion and push-back.  NEVER try to use old money if you are in a rush!  Most of the time the reaction is "COOL!" but sometimes it is "sorry sir, we cannot accept that".  I can understand with ones and twos, but a journey series 10?  That would be hard to not react to.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.

Login with username, password and session length