Author
Topic: SNDB Cleaning - Removing runs of sequential notes  (Read 7253 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:31:49 pm »

Some users may notice the number of notes recorded in the SNDB and/or their own note counts drop over the next day or two.

I am doing some housecleaning on the SNDB to remove long runs of sequential or nearly-sequential notes.

These long runs have no value in the SNDB aside to bulk up the numbers.  The first and last notes of each run will be left in place, but notes in between will be removed.

Most of the runs were entered a while ago, so unless there are any recent repeat offenders, I'm not going to get too excited about the issue.

If you have any questions, please contact me.  Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dartviking
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 07:59:21 pm »

I guess I am missing the point of having ALL users enter their notes into the SNDB then ?  Not sure why they would be removed as I am sure there must be some potential value to having them in the database, even if not discovered yet ?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:12:41 pm »

We want to get as much of a variety of notes recorded as possible.  There is no variety in a stack of sequential notes.  The information that can be obtained from the whole run is the same as can be obtained from any single note in that run.

Additionally, when researchers access the data, runs of sequential notes skew results and make sorting through the data tougher.  (It's easier to sort through 1,000 notes than it is 2,000 notes if half of them make up sequential runs anyway).

Either way, please enter your notes, but if you have sequential notes or many notes from the same first four digits (eg: 6283xxx), please only enter 1-2 of them.  Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 06:07:51 pm »

if you have sequential notes or many notes from the same first four digits (eg: 6283xxx), please only enter 1-2 of them.  Thanks!

Just a quick question:

I had a bundle of 100 polymer $5 that was pretty much consecutive but had a few notes in the sequence missing (and presumably replaced along the way with inserts).  Is that of any value to anyone here?  Does anyone care about the missing notes?  Should I just enter the first and last notes in the bundle as if all 100 notes were there?

Thanks,
Dean

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 07:37:33 pm »

First and last.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:36:35 am »

Just a quick question:

Is that of any value to anyone here?  Does anyone care about the missing notes? 
Thanks,
Dean

Please see the PM sent. I would love to have some more details.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length