Author
Topic: Coins picked from circulation  (Read 156644 times)
stashthecash
« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2013, 05:57:27 pm »

I was just passing through Haliburton today and had some time to kill so I went to the bank to pick up some rolls of quarters to search through
The teller asked if I was looking for anything special which actually surprised me since most of the time they could care less.
Anyways, I mentioned that I collected banknotes and coins and just searched through rolls to find anything neat. When she returned from the vault she came out with a box of quarters and started pulling them out.
She said a local lawyer just brought them in this morning as part of an estate and I was welcome to buy as many as I wanted.
I noticed on some of the hand rolled wrappers dates like 1967, 1966 etc. were hand written so you can imagine what was going through my mind.  Anyways, I took the box of quarters and couldn't wait till I got back into my car. The 1967 marked roll was in fact a roll of 1967 centennial quarters, and all the others that were marked were what was written on the rolls. The unmarked rolls contained mostly 1968 quarters. I almost **** myself.
Anyways there was 32 rolls in total

1966 3 rolls
1967 5 rolls
1968 18 rolls
1964 2 rolls
4 rolls mixed dates from 1960-1968

Still in shock ...haven't calculated the silver value yet, but looks like I'm going to searching quarters now :)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2013, 07:17:33 pm »

I was just passing through Haliburton today and had some time to kill so I went to the bank to pick up some rolls of quarters to search through
The teller asked if I was looking for anything special which actually surprised me since most of the time they could care less.
Anyways, I mentioned that I collected banknotes and coins and just searched through rolls to find anything neat. When she returned from the vault she came out with a box of quarters and started pulling them out.
She said a local lawyer just brought them in this morning as part of an estate and I was welcome to buy as many as I wanted.
I noticed on some of the hand rolled wrappers dates like 1967, 1966 etc. were hand written so you can imagine what was going through my mind.  Anyways, I took the box of quarters and couldn't wait till I got back into my car. The 1967 marked roll was in fact a roll of 1967 centennial quarters, and all the others that were marked were what was written on the rolls. The unmarked rolls contained mostly 1968 quarters. I almost **** myself.
Anyways there was 32 rolls in total

1966 3 rolls
1967 5 rolls
1968 18 rolls
1964 2 rolls
4 rolls mixed dates from 1960-1968

Still in shock ...haven't calculated the silver value yet, but looks like I'm going to searching quarters now :)

Wow...A very nice find...  ???
I haven't had that much luck with quarters...Just full rolls from the '70s so far. 
But, as you have just proven, the possibility of finding great stuff still exists...

stashthecash
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2013, 09:08:13 pm »

Wow...A very nice find...  ???
I haven't had that much luck with quarters...Just full rolls from the '70s so far. 
But, as you have just proven, the possibility of finding great stuff still exists...

I assume it was a collector that passed away and the lawyer just figured it was cash that was part of the estate and just deposited it.
I know I will definetly drop by that bank next time I'm in the area..you never know. Lightning might just hit the same place twice :)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2013, 09:10:07 pm »

Hi Stashthecash,  

Congratulations on your awesome find.  It is like hitting a mini-jackpot.  You have several hundred dollars in silver content alone.  

I am not surprised what banks can get.   I recently received a lot of UNC 1954 notes... My $67 investment (face value) was worth about $500 in value of those notes.  

Collectors must state in their Wills, what they have or it just gets tossed into the bank at face value.  Executors don't know the values of coins, etc.    To most of them it's spending money.  To us collectors that manage to find them, it's hitting the lottery.

Smile from your heart.  ;D
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2013, 09:55:59 pm »

Wow, that's a crazy find!  ???

I think that's upwards of $4,000 in melt value, all for $320?
tmort
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2013, 11:19:07 pm »

:Dgreat find!
I picked up some nice bank notes from a bank last month...some nice UNC birds and coloured series.what a great feeling.
Congrats again!

CPMS member
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2013, 11:36:47 pm »

Wow-amazing. With all the kijiji ads and ads about people wanting to buy silver coins it is still amazing how people hand over their wealth.

Good find and thx for sharing.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2013, 05:19:18 pm »

Well, I knew it had to happen eventually...My trusty bank cut me off from my supply of pennies...

What shall I do now?  I still have many rolls to explore but after that...   :-[

Dean

Shylo
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2013, 09:49:10 pm »

I was just thinking that I haven't read any of your updates lately and I certainly miss that....

Well you still have your convenience stores that you can pick up from... but just the other day I was at the bank and the fella ahead of me in line was asking about depositing pennies.. the teller gave him a bag... I approached him and told him I would pay him face value for the pennies and I'm looking for a few pennies in my collection...

That's one option....

I was also at Safeway last week.... and there was a mother daughter that were approaching the coin machine with what looked to be a very large and very full bag of coins...

I was in the check out but quickly stepped over and approached the couple, and told them who I was and that I liked collecting coins... (they both had an expression of skepticism on their face) I offered to pay them cash face value for their coin..

Most of their coin was loose and they didn't know exactly how much they had.. I had a look and ball parked it at $200... and told them I'd give them $10 for the bag to carry it in too...

I think the deal sounded too crazy not to pass up...and so they accepted.... There was actually a touch over $200 bucks in there and I managed to pick out 3 quarters that are pre '67... not exactly a huge score but at least I now have a few more pennies to go through...

There's millions of pennies out there just be resourceful.... and if that fails... get one of those coin machines and partner it up in a good location..... you'll have an endless supply! :D
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2013, 11:30:20 pm »

Hi all,

I got back to penny hunting today because I managed to obtain $9 in loose pennies from the school library.  (I guess the students have been paying their fines with pennies! )

Here's what I found:

1 x 43
1 x 57
1 x 59
2 x 60
3 x 63
3 x 64 (1 red)
1 x 65
6 x 68
2 x 69

Happy hunting,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2013, 05:07:08 pm »

Hi all,

I was at my local coffee shop and the tip jar had a few pennies in it.  I asked the cashier if she minded exchanging them with me.  She obliged with 9 cents...one of which was a 1929 US wheat cent!   ;D

Check it out...
{http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6141/1929wheatapr12013.jpg:http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/6141/1929wheatapr12013.th.jpg}

I threw in much more than 9 cents as a thank-you gesture, of course!  :)

Now penny hunting becomes more fun as there are fewer in active circulation.  Check those tip jars, watch the ground when you're out, and just plain ask!  People will usually just GIVE you the pennies most of the time (Although I feel guilty just taking them, especially from the tip jars!)

You never know what you'll find...

Happy Hunting!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2013, 08:21:19 pm »

So it IS possible...I received pennies in change today from a Winners store!  Got exactly 47 cents back!  Woo Hoo!  :)

JB-2007
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2013, 10:21:31 pm »

I believe that Walmart stores are still giving pennies
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2013, 11:35:00 pm »

I went to the bank and asked for a roll of loonies. I got a roll with the plastic wrapper that is used for new coins. I was very excited that I finally hit upon 2013 loonies. But alas it was 2012.

Almost 3+ months into March 2013 and to get a mint roll of 2012 loonies. So it looks like it will be while before the 2013's are out.

If history were to repeat itself then I think after every year of large mintage of a circulation coin there is low mintage of that same coin the following year (at least for loonies and toonies)

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
JB-2007
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2013, 10:53:11 pm »

Almost 3+ months into March 2013 and to get a mint roll of 2012 loonies. So it looks like it will be while before the 2013's are out.
Now i assume that they were the new design loonies... imagine getting a full roll of the old design!
If history were to repeat itself then I think after every year of large mintage of a circulation coin there is low mintage of that same coin the following year (at least for loonies and toonies)
The 2012 Loon new design saw a very large mintage, they are very easy to find. I guess only time will tell rather or not lots of 2013 will be minted. Its all a question of supply and demand. I will never forget in 1991 when i was looking for all the 91 coins. Where is that quarter... i couldn't find one. I managed to get one from a dealer and that was before anyone knew the mintage was only 459,000 for that year. I guess they had no need that year for many quarters.

Login with username, password and session length