Author
Topic: What a day...  (Read 5362 times)
Shylo
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:52:28 pm »

So I go to my local bank asking to exchange some cash as I do regularly once or twice er week. But this time they say they don't really have a lot as they have sent a lot of their money back to the main branch.

So I figured since they were stopping with the penny I'd pick up some.. they told me I could take up to 6 boxes.. I decided to only take two. (Pretty much did it only because of a slight interest that was generated from a previous thread... I'll post any good finds later on)

Then I asked if they have pulled any notes to send off for destruction...

This is what I ended up taking home with me:

2 x 1979 $20's
1 x 2009 $100
1 x 1954 $1
2 x 1954 $2's
1 x 1954 $10
8 x 1991 $20's
2 x 1998 $50's
4 x 2004 $50's
3 x 1986 $2's

Now while some of these are simply "spenders" I'm going to keep all the '54's simply because I just don't want those to be destroyed and they're in F-EF condition which is not too bad.

This is just a big thank you to all those on this site who I have talked with and who have told me strategies to help me in my pursuit of this hobby. Strategies on how to talk to bank tellers and what questions to ask, really has made me starting to find some really good notes and to get these notes just really made my day...

*warm fuzzy hugs all around*   :)
tmort
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:59:05 pm »

Great find Shylo!

CPMS member
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 06:47:45 am »

Congrats!  It really is a treasure hunt going to the banks.  Most of the time the answer is no when you ask for old notes or coins but sometimes the mother lode comes in!

Just yesterday I was at my local bank.  They were very nice, sold me all the pennies they had, and gave me a year of the snake medallion dated 2013!

Enjoy the hobby,
Dean

Shylo
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:43:30 am »

I really am enjoying this hobby.. and much of it is attributed to this forum.. the fact that I can discuss and ask questions to others who have the same interest is awesome.

I wouldn never have thought of some of the ways to "treasure hunt" before and it is only because of this forum that I have increased my level of success regarding finding neat and interesting items...

Dean I think it was because of your thread on coins that was enough incentive for me to pick up two boxes of pennies... I looked at all the rolls last night and just laughed thinking of the time it will take to go through those looking and the dates etc.!!

Until then.. I think I'm set for the worlds largest rumoli tournament! :D
gendis
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:43:07 pm »

Congratulations on your recent acquisitions.  It's nice to know that your received some paper 100's and 50's  as the Bank of Canada has instructed the banks to return these notes for destruction.

A 1954 *V/V note was acquired at face by a friend from a bank that I dealt with on an almost daily basis.  Initially I was disappointed that I did not acquire the note but, upon reflection, realized that my friend's good luck related to the law of large numbers in that he probably made a simliar request for older notes to various banks and currency exchanges some at least a 1000 times a year.

The note was eventually sold and my friend has had seller's remorse from the date of sale.

My best find was a Canadian error coin - a 2000 50 cent coin struck on an American Sacagawea planchet acquired at face in a roll from the Mint in Winnipeg.

Shylo
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:26:48 pm »

haven't seen you post anything in awhile ghendis... nice seeing you back..

We should go for a drink sometime ... I'd love to talk shop with you and share some stories send me a PM if you're up for it and let me know when is good for you.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 07:55:33 pm »

My best find was a Canadian error coin - a 2000 50 cent coin struck on an American Sacagawea planchet acquired at face in a roll from the Mint in Winnipeg.
Neat Find! Do you have any pictures?

Shylo
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 12:21:55 am »

I can't post new threads... I can reply to threads but I can't make any new ones... Have I done something wrong here? Or is there a problem of some sort.

It says error 403 forbidden 403....

Can anyone help me or give me some insight?
tmort
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:07:09 pm »

That's no fun Shylo! BoC suspension for not buying enough Silver Maples.

CPMS member
Shylo
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 10:40:40 pm »

Hahahha no actually found out this site has some word filters on it.... I was trying to create a thread and in it was the word ca$hino's (you get what I'm trying to say here) this site doesn't like that word apparently..

Thanks though to Brent... he not only enlightened me about the word filters, he managed to answer my question... dang I love you guys

BIG HUGS

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!
missinglink3
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 12:18:57 pm »

Nice find !!
My bank let's me look at the mutilated bills going for destructions so in the last 2-3 years, i've made some really nice catch.

1937 5 X 20$
1937 2 X 10$
1954 devil's face 4 X 20$
1954 devil's face 1$ suffix H/A
etc...
A lot of fun to go through and always surprises.

Login with username, password and session length