Author
Topic: 1986-1991 UNC Matched Low Serial Set  (Read 5496 times)
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:07:27 pm »

Hi,

I got an offer from someone. He want to sell to me:

- 1986-1991 UNC Matched Low Serial Number Set with the 5$, 10$, 20$, 50$ and 100$
- Matched low number also of another 5$ and 20$

Total price: 1500$

Is that a good deal ?

Thanks.

See my banknotes collection at http://banknotes.davidbelanger.net/.
Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:35:04 pm »

What is the serial number?

No hay banda  
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 04:11:27 pm »

I don't know. I don't have much information. Let me find out.

Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:13:39 pm »

Never mind. He sold it... Thanks though. But from what I saw 1500$ is a bit high.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 06:36:07 pm »

What the...?

The serial number is the most important part.  I can't imagine someone selling a set like that without disclosing the serial number unless the notes are "hot".  And, in case anyone asks, I had a set exactly like that stolen from me in 2009.  The notes were number 0000082.  And the lost transaction was worth $600.

No hay banda  
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 06:42:05 pm »

I saw only pictures of the set, front picture and a description of what the lot was... no serial number of screenshot of the back. I think he won't answer to my question since the set has been sold.

I am still looking for a set like that (I'd like the one with the 2$ to 1000$ however).

If I see the set #82 while doing my research, I'll notice you.

stashthecash
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:10:10 pm »

I had a set exactly like that stolen from me in 2009.  The notes were number 0000082.  And the lost transaction was worth $600

I have heard of notes being stolen, notes sold on ebay or privately that have not reached there destination, and other stories where notes have mysterious vanished into thin air.
Why couldn't we have a running thread of notes such as these that can be tracked should they ever appear for sale again.
I think that many of these will eventually come onto the market again and it sure would be nice to catch these culprits...only a suggestion...anyone else think this would be worthwhile....
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 11:34:52 pm »

What the...?

And the lost transaction was worth $600.

How does a transaction get lost? Is it not insured at that level of transaction?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 06:26:28 pm »

I have heard of notes being stolen, notes sold on ebay or privately that have not reached there destination, and other stories where notes have mysterious vanished into thin air.
Why couldn't we have a running thread of notes such as these that can be tracked should they ever appear for sale again.
I think that many of these will eventually come onto the market again and it sure would be nice to catch these culprits...only a suggestion...anyone else think this would be worthwhile....

I like the idea but, really, it is up to the seller to report thefts to the police.  I don't know if the police will take reports on items that go missing in the mail.  Anyhow, there is no way for the website's owner to ensure that reports of stolen items are accurate, so by allowing such discussions, the site might be dragged into disputes.

How does a transaction get lost? Is it not insured at that level of transaction?

I sold the notes for $600 and had to return the money when the buyer claimed to never receive them.  The tracking information on Canada Post's website showed no updates after the package was submitted.  It's possible that the package got delivered but never tracked, but who knows for sure?  That is why sellers should never ever ever give buyers the tracking information.  Let the buyer tell you he/she received the items.  Most buyers do not wish to purchase insurance, so it's up to sellers to cover the cost of Canada Post's insurance or to purchase private insurance.  Canada Post does not insure documents, and money is considered a document, so getting them to insure a package that contains money requires some trickery...  :-X

There's a strong chance that stolen money is simply cashed for face value, in which case it is lost forever.  A matching note set like the one I lost has a face value of $210, so there's a good chance set number 0000082 no longer exists.  What a pity.

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length