Author
Topic: Ordering bundles of brand new banknotes from banks  (Read 17934 times)
AZ
« on: February 24, 2013, 02:53:08 pm »

Has anyone tried getting/ordering bundles of brand new banknotes from banks? I'm looking for Unc $20 and $50 notes printed by CBN. My bank (CIBC) has not received brand new notes since BAI fifties were released in March last year. They told me they can order uncirculated notes, but the fee per bundle is $50, which is way too much. Also, do large branches (such as CIBC Main Branch - Commercial Court in downtown Toronto) carry new notes which I can get for face value?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 03:32:02 pm »

Hi,

The main branch of any bank will often have crisp uncirculated notes.  Call ahead to confirm and go to the business line.  I have gotten new money from RBC, CIBC and Scotiabank downtown.  They are also more likely to carry new money now due to Chinese new year.

Good luck,
Dean

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 03:49:21 pm »

I find it easier to get new $5 and $10s over the counter. Much of the UNC $20/$50s seem to be loaded into cash machines, so I find it harder to get bundles of those if not pre-ordered. Scotia Plaza's ATMs have had nothing but UNC CBN $20s for the last few weeks, and RBC's machines seem to have an abundance of new CBN $50s.
AZ
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 09:24:47 pm »

The main branch of any bank will often have crisp uncirculated notes.  Call ahead to confirm and go to the business line.  I have gotten new money from RBC, CIBC and Scotiabank downtown.  They are also more likely to carry new money now due to Chinese new year.

Thanks Dean and CA_Banknotes! I'll check out main CIBC branch downtown.
Shylo
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 12:30:21 pm »

I go to my bank and put in an order... I ask for uncirculated bundles of notes... (the denomination and number of notes I want in groups of 100 of course)

I have done that at the RBC and they've been very accomodating at most request (usually once a month for new stuff and then 2-3 times per week I just do denomination exchanges)

It has also been suggested that you can try the main branch... the main branches for Winnipeg are all downtown.. I just can't do that on a regular work day but plan to do it during my holidays when I have the time for parking etc.

My main issue is how to convince a bank to get me a brick... if you have any suggestions there I'm all ears.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 05:55:18 pm »

The main branch of any bank will often have crisp uncirculated notes.

It's hit and miss. The Scotiabank main commercial branch in Vancouver seems to have UNC new notes on or near the day of issue of a new series, but not at any other time. I received UNC consecutive polymer $100s, $50s, $20s, and 2004-up Journey series notes there when they were first released. But my attempts to get new UNC bundles of $5 and $10 there at any other time have all failed.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:02 pm »

I'll give you an advice... do business with a business. They will keep if they can UNC bundle for business since they know business give them to the customer. You, you'll just keep them (or check them) and return them sometimes, or not.

Get friendly with a business and ask them to order money for you if there's no fee. Pay them and I am sure you can build a good relationship.

See my banknotes collection at http://banknotes.davidbelanger.net/.
Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
Shylo
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 08:52:50 pm »

Squad that's a fantastic idea... what kind businesses would you recommend building a relationship with?
Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 12:40:26 am »

conveince store/gas station's are always withdrawing $5's. 
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 03:36:05 pm »

I ordered a brick of UNC $5.00 (1000 notes) last week.  I do this very seldom as I know they don't like it.  They called me yesterday and left a message to get a hold of them.  So I went into the branch expecting the 10 bundles to have arrived.  I waited for about ten minutes before the manager came to meet me.

Today, for the first time, she told me that they can no longer accommodate my request as its "a security risk."  I told them I've done this in the past only seldom (like 2-3 times per year) and its never been a problem.  They told me they've been monitoring my withdrawals and all that & I just told them I'm a note collector (which she said she understood, etc) and I got the head manager's card (to contact him). 

Any advice?  I said I will move to another bank but I'm telling you- that is an extreme hassle for me. 

Shylo
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 08:34:12 am »

W2W

My best advice would be to all the head manager and clear up the issue... sounds like your account has been flagged...

I would at least talk to the manager and see if it can get cleared up.... if he/she is reluctant to do anything.. moving your accounts over to another place may be a good idea anyways..

I do all my personal banking at one banking institution and my "hobby" banking at  two other banks... I keep them different just in case they would freeze my accounts I really don't want anything bad happening that could really "flustercluck" me.
Squad-G
    • Banknotes
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:55 am »

Squad that's a fantastic idea... what kind businesses would you recommend building a relationship with?

Sorry for the delay. Mine it's with my girlfriend's pharmacy Jean-Coutu. Family owned grocery can be good too.

See my banknotes collection at http://banknotes.davidbelanger.net/.
Find special numbers for your banknotes quickly by using this tool. Useful for the bundles.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 05:28:04 pm »

Shylo,
I did just that:
I have had a discussion with the manager and he was very convincing about the security risk (apparently a rash of robberies in the area).  Although I felt skeptical -I had to take him at face value and allow him his say (side of the story).  He said it wasn't personal (about denying me my large sum of money) but an executive decision made at head office not to release/hold large quantities of cash.   It really seemed a stretch to me (like business don't deposit large sums and are a bigger target than I).  In hindsight I just wish I closed my savings account when I was first told this- but I thought I would give them due process to correct the situation (& I may close the account yet).

When the manager & I met, I showed him an old Charlton catalogue and some FPN/BPN of notes I've entered in the SNDB to convince him of my hobby and he said he'd look into it and see if he could get a waiver from head office.  He asked that I write a letter (email) to explain my hobby/need to search bricks, etc and I complied.  He did get back to me promptly and asked how much how often.  I replied but haven't received an answer as of yet.

I do have 2 other banks I deal with but was hoping that I didn't have to go there since this branch is very convenient (& the teller staff friendly).  I've spent a # of years building up a relationship with several of them. I've also banked with the 2 branches in my town for 35 years though I'm not sure that means anything to them these days (with record pop growth in my area & bank profits).   ::)

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 08:17:35 pm »

When the manager & I met, I showed him an old Charlton catalogue and some FPN/BPN of notes I've entered in the SNDB to convince him of my hobby and he said he'd look into it and see if he could get a waiver from head office.  He asked that I write a letter (email) to explain my hobby/need to search bricks, etc and I complied.  He did get back to me promptly and asked how much how often.  I replied but haven't received an answer as of yet.

It sounds like the manager at least has an open mind in your case.  I've heard stories where the manager in question was completely obtuse and refused to even listen to the collector, much less consider it as a potentially legitimate situation.  I would encourage you to continue being cooperative and without pushing too hard, attempt to educate the manager about what it is you do.  Address his specific concerns and demonstrate how you are mitigating those risks or how you could adapt so as to alleviate their concerns.

Best of luck!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length