Author
Topic: How Do I Identify Replacement Notes  (Read 5235 times)
hdldddpd
« on: February 28, 2013, 02:02:07 pm »

I have been getting a few bundles of $5 and $10 lately.  How do I know when the notes in the budle are single or sheet replacement notes?

Are the replacements inserted in sequence or at the top/bottom of the bundle?  With the sheet range generally much larger than the single note range how can you tell it is a sheet or single note replacement?

Shylo
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:58:51 pm »

If you go to the serial number data base at the top.... you will get that information for most notes that are out....

How you can otherwise... I'm just not that sure... perhaps if you ask Brent (BJWM) he knows a tonne about the date base and replacements I have found.

hdldddpd
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:14:16 am »

I have a bundle of tens with 10 different prefix notes in the bundle (BFP/BTZ).  Nothing on the databse but does seem strange because the bundle still had the BOC wrapper.  How long does one hold on to the curiosities?

tmort
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:34:10 pm »

Henry, the Charlton guide has a couple ranges of replacements in BTZ: 2.277-2.278, 9.829-9.830 but they are single note replacements.

CPMS member
hdldddpd
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 01:38:40 am »

I PM'ed BJWM and he made me cry today.  He told me that he sharpie marks the notes he enters into the database making them un-collectable.  He was not sure how to identify unless you have a brick (1000 notes).  Now where do you get a brick of $100 without raising some attention?

I guess hang on to everything until the brick hunters have it figured out.

stashthecash
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 08:39:24 am »

Just because your bundle has a BOC wrapper doesn't mean anything. First of all when going through sealed bricks the bundles are often gone through by a bricker and notes are pulled, shuffled, inserted, and sometimes "marked" etc, and then returned to the bank where they are counted and often given back out to customers if a bundle is requested.  If you get a qty of bricks at any one time there are many occassions when the bundles you return may contain mutiple prefixes, consectutive runs, the odd note here and there especially if you are using a money counter machine your only concern is returning 100 notes per bundle.
As far as collecting info on replacements, only info from new sealed bricks is used no info from bundles are used because of what I described. Once a note has been confirmed it doesn't matter where you find it because then it is what it is...as for holding onto these notes is a crap shoot, but that is your call...
hope this helps
hdldddpd
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:21:20 pm »

Does anyone know if the replacements are inserted into the bundle for the notes they replace or are they added to the end of the bundle to make a full 100?

mpennyluck
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:57:58 pm »

The Esler reports provide much useful insights. For instance, early in the 1954 series, the Bank of Canada ordered replacements with continuous numbering, so the notes could be issued as needed to fulfill their special purpose, and when quantities ran low, the Bank would order more.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:05 pm »

The Esler reports

Pardon my ignorance but where can I find these reports?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length