Author
Topic: Bank of Canada Unveils The New $5 and $10 Polymer Bank Notes  (Read 21876 times)
suretteda

New $5 & $10 Polymer Bank Notes

Bank of Canada unveils the new $5 and $10 polymer bank notes on Tuesday, 30 April 2013.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/media-room/upcoming-events/
FogDevil
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »

Well, since the Polymer $20 notes were unveiled 6 months in advance, I can just hazard a guess that the new Polymer $5's and $10's will probably be released to the public around Halloween or in November sometime.  I bet the bank I deal with will probably see the Polymer $5's before they see a shipment of Polymer $10's, seeing they go through a lot more $5's and go through the $10's so slow.  The bank I deal with probably won't be seeing the Polymer $10's that soon after its release.  A main branch will probably seem them first.  But there's a good chance I'll be seeing both those Polymer denominations in time for Christmas.

I bet the $10 will be an easy bill to replace, especially where I live.  There's so few $10's in circulation, and I have a feeling that most of the new $10's will have been distributed within 3 months.
suretteda
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:00 am »

Planning for the new $5 and $10 Polymer Bank Notes

Late this year, the Bank of Canada is planning to issue the final two Polymer series notes—the $5 and $10—together. With this planned roll-out, your business can begin preparations for cash-handling equipment upgrades.

When new bank notes are issued, machinery typically needs some form of adaptation or adjustment. As the
lower value $5 and $10 notes are used extensively in vending, self-serve retail checkouts as well as parking
and transit machines, your equipment may need to be adapted to recognize and accept the new notes.

To help you get ready, the Bank of Canada will unveil the $5 and $10 notes about six months in advance of
their issue date. From that point on, you can enquire with your equipment supplier or manufacturer about
machine compatibility and plans for upgrades.

We hope that this information and our future communications will be useful to you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information as Canada continues the transition to the Polymer series.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/planning_new_5_10_march_2013.pdf
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 10:53:49 pm »

To help you get ready, the Bank of Canada will unveil the $5 and $10 notes about six months in advance of
their issue date.

So about now they would be unveiled. Hopefully to get the notes for circulation in October-November?

Thank you for sharing the information.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
suretteda
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:56:56 am »

New $5 & $10 Polymer Bank Notes

Bank of Canada unveils the new $5 and $10 polymer bank notes on Tuesday, 30 April 2013.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2013/04/media-advisories/bank-canada-unveil-5-and-10-bank-notes/
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:25:53 pm »

Cool... we could have a 'train' note again on the $5 bill, and a picture of the Canadian Arm/or some Canadian Satelitte on the $10 note!

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:00:58 pm »

The big question is whose signature. Since they are already circulating test notes about now.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:04:40 pm »

The big question is whose signature. Since they are already circulating test notes about now.

what test notes?

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:14:38 pm »

By test notes I mean the notes they give out to the equipment industry to ensure that they can get their equipment ready for the day when these notes finally make it in the public realm.

There was a posting earlier on that said that this is done 6 months prior to the official release date.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:18:00 pm »

There was a posting earlier on that said that this is done 6 months prior to the official release date.

Here is a link to the posting. I am not sure if the notes that are issued are the actual ones that will find a place in circulation later or they produce some different versions

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=13557.msg59489#msg59489

Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 07:28:06 pm »

I thought it was already no secret that the $5 would have the CanadArm2 and the $10 would have the "The Canadian" train.

As for signatures I suspect they'll have Carney's.  You can be sure the vaults are already full of them ready to go for this Sept/Oct.  We're still seeing crisp Jenkins notes years after he left the Bank.

Marc :)
suretteda
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 12:19:46 pm »

Bank of Canada Unveils New $5 and $10 Polymer Bank Notes

Ottawa, Ontario - Canada’s new and more secure $5 and $10 polymer bank notes were unveiled today at the Bank of Canada’s Ottawa head office, and from aboard the International Space Station. Both of the new notes will begin circulating, at the same time, this November.

Minister of Finance Jim Flaherty, Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney and Paul G. Smith, Chairman of the Board at VIA Rail Canada, were joined via satellite by Canadian Space Agency Astronaut Chris Hadfield, Commander of the International Space Station, to unveil these final two notes in the new Polymer series.

“Canadians can be very proud of their new polymer bank notes,” said Minister Flaherty. “With today’s unveiling of the final two notes in the series, one can see not only the unique story that each of the five denominations tells, but the unifying theme that underlies them all - the profound courage, determination, and ingenuity of our nation and its people.”

The new $5 and $10 notes will carry the same leading-edge security features as the $20, $50 and $100 polymer notes already in circulation. Featuring a sophisticated combination of transparency and holography, this is the most secure bank note series ever issued by the Bank of Canada. The Polymer series is more economical, lasting at least two and half times longer than cotton-based paper bank notes, and will be recycled in Canada.

“The Polymer series notes are at the frontier of bank note technology. The new $5 and $10 bank notes depict the frontiers of our country and our planet,” Governor Carney said. “It is fitting that we are today crossing the final frontier for a world first - the unveiling of a bank note from space.”

While orbiting more than 350 kilometres above Earth, Commander Hadfield gave Canadians their first look at the new $5 polymer note. It features images of Canadarm2 and Dextre - robotics innovations used to build and maintain the Space Station and that symbolize Canada’s ongoing contribution to the international space program.

“I try to inspire young Canadians to aim high. This new $5 bill should do the same,” Commander Hadfield said. “By giving prominence to Canadian achievements in space, this bank note reminds us that not even the sky is the limit.”

The front of the $5 note features a portrait of Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Prime Minister of Canada from 1896 to 1911.

VIA Rail Canada’s Paul G. Smith unveiled the new $10 polymer note at the Bank of Canada. The new $10 note features a striking image of The Canadian train journeying through the Rocky Mountains, and represents the enormous feat of engineering that linked Canada’s East and West by rail. A portrait of Sir John A. Macdonald, who was Prime Minister of Canada (1867-1873, 1878-1891) at the time of the railway completion, is featured on the front of the note.

“The transcontinental railway helped build modern Canada. On behalf of VIA Rail, I am delighted that this accomplishment, through the use of this iconic image, has been honoured on the new $10 bank note,” Mr. Smith said. “Not only did the railway contribute to Canada’s economic prosperity by moving people and goods across this vast land, but it also gave Canadians the means to seek new frontiers of their own."

Over the months leading up to the issuance of these notes in November 2013, the Bank will continue to work closely with financial institutions, manufacturers of bank-note-handling equipment and retailers to ensure a smooth transition. Businesses that use note-handling and processing equipment are encouraged to contact their suppliers about machine compatibility and plans for upgrades.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2013/04/press-releases/bank-canada-unveils-new-5-and-10-polymer-bank-notes/
suretteda
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 12:20:15 pm »

Bank Note Unveiling

I am pleased to welcome you today for the unveiling of the last two bank notes in our new Polymer series, the $5 and $10 bank notes.

One of the critical elements of the Bank of Canada’s mandate is the design, production and distribution of bank notes that Canadians can use in complete confidence for their day-to-day transactions. It is therefore very important for the Bank to keep ahead of counterfeiters who undermine this confidence.

We made considerable progress in the fight against counterfeiting even before the release of the polymer bank notes. In 2012, for example, the rate of counterfeiting had dropped by 92 per cent from its peak in 2004. These new bank notes offer increased security and will contribute to a further reduction in counterfeiting rates.

Almost half a billion of these new notes are now in circulation. Safer, cheaper, greener, the polymer notes have already proven their worth.

Safer, because all the notes have the same state-of-the-art security features, using holography, transparency and other elements that make them difficult to counterfeit but easy for everyone, especially those behind the counter, to verify.

Cheaper, because the durable polymer material lasts at least 2.5 times longer than paper-based notes. This means that fewer notes will need to be printed, making the series more economical.

Greener because, over the life of the series, fewer notes produced also means fewer notes transported. And when they do need to be replaced, the notes will be recycled in Canada.

As we all know, these polymer bank notes look and feel different than the paper-based currency of the past.

This has been a big change for everyone: the Canadian public, financial institutions, retailers and the manufacturers of bank-note-handling equipment. The Bank of Canada will continue to work closely with all of these groups through this transition.

The $5 and $10 bank notes that we are unveiling today will make their début in November, and in the coming months, businesses can begin to prepare for the switch and upgrade their cash-handling machines.

The innovative nature of the polymer notes is echoed in the theme of the series - frontiers - because, in so many ways, these notes break new ground.

The “frontiers” theme is also reflected in the images chosen to grace these notes. Each denomination represents the best of Canada: scientific discovery on the $100 note, Arctic research on the $50 and valour and sacrifice on the $20.

The bank notes we unveil today continue this tradition. The $10 note depicts a great feat of engineering from Canada’s past - the joining of East and West by rail. The $5 note highlights Canada’s technological achievements that look skyward - our contributions to the international space program.

As Governor of the Bank of Canada, I join all my colleagues to express our pride in these new bank notes, also a product of great technological innovation. They are the impressive result of teamwork and dedication by chemists, physicists, researchers, artists and analysts. This kind of synergy, which is at the heart of excellence, has been a hallmark of our nation throughout its history.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2013/04/speeches/bank-note-unveiling/
FogDevil
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 12:25:28 pm »

A November release doesn't surprise me one bit, seeing that the anniversary of the CanadArm satellite's launch into orbit occurs in that month.

This latest release means that all the denominations, except for the $50, will have been released in the month of November.
FogDevil
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 12:31:11 pm »

Here is a link to the Flickr page that shows what the new $10 and $5 bills look like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bankofcanada/8693039429

This will mark the first $10 and $5 bills with the Prime Ministers facing to the left instead of to the right.

Login with username, password and session length