Author
Topic: US Money: Bureau of Engraving and Printing, Washington DC (Public Tour)  (Read 17547 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Hello fellow collectors,

I was in Washington DC, and I had the opportunity to visit the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (also known as the BEP).  The BEP is part of the U.S. Treasury and is responsible for the issuance of US bank notes. 

Here's a link to more information: 
http://www.moneyfactory.gov/tours/washingtondctours.html

The following are photos of the BEP.  You get to see how U.S. bank notes are created from start to finish during the manufacturing process.  It's quite stunning, and I was awe struck to see how much money was being made.  While I was there, they were printing the newest $100 US bank notes being distributed in October 2013.  This facility is making about $1 billion in US $100 notes on a daily basis.   

Unfortunately, during the actual production tour, you CANNOT take photos of the manufacturing process.  You also get to see the barrels of the top-secret green ink they use on the currency being pumped into the intaglio printers, error notes, blank sheets, various stages of printing, packaging of bricks and bundles, and more!

The security is very high, and you WILL get caught if you take any pictures of videos.  The BEP Police (and yes, they actually have their own police division) have the right to confiscate your camera or video camera.   A colleague of mine tried to take photos discretely, and he was pulled out of the tour (which is kind of embarrassing), and taken to the police for questioning, where they viewed his photos and warned him that it was a federal offense to do so. 

The tour is free.  Tickets are required.  Here are some of the photos of the ticket booth, welcome area, and souvenir store at the BEP.  This is a definite must to see for any paper money collector.  Well worth the tour!!!

Enjoy the photos. 

Just in case the photos below do not work, here's a link to my flickr photo account:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1jJZrn

Ticket booth on 15th Avenue:

Next to the ticket booth - BEP building (back-side, Exit of tour):

Ticket booth seen on right side... with people lining up (as early as 6:30 am - tickets are distributed first-come, first-served for same day tours at 8 am sharp):

BEP (Bureau of Engraving and Printing Police) vehicle:

Tour Entrance (on other side of building on 14th Street):

Welcome area and history of BEP:

$1 Million US Dollars in $10 US bank notes (and notice, they are Star Notes!):

President Obama, US Treasurer, Secretary of Treasury, BEP Director:

BEP Souvenir Store (you can buy anything and everything from sheets of notes to shredded currency) and some museum piece bank notes:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:19:14 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member

Hello fellow collectors,

I was in Washington DC, and I had the opportunity to visit the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (also known as the BEP).  The BEP is part of the U.S. Treasury and is responsible for the issuance of US bank notes. 

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

And the BoC thinks that sharing information about how notes get printed will tell the world about trade secrets that will fall into wrong hands.

Based on the things that you saw/read can you share the following:

a) How many different plates are used to do all the printing on the front side and the back side?
b) Is the number printing done at the very end?
c) How often are the plates replaced?
d) What types of errors and in what stage of printing/processing were they showing up?
e) Do they keep any records of errors?

I know those are a lot of questions.

I am sure to be making a trip to Washington based on the things you have shared.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

a) How many different plates are used to do all the printing on the front side and the back side?
b) Is the number printing done at the very end?
c) How often are the plates replaced?
d) What types of errors and in what stage of printing/processing were they showing up?
e) Do they keep any records of errors?

Hi Rupiah,

Answers:
a)  Unsure.  Too excited to think properly.
b)  Yes, serial numbers are printed at the end.
c)  Not sure.
d)  Various types of errors in various stages.  What I saw was sheets of red wavy cancellation marks on sheets going down the four rows (4x8 notes).   They have cameras at various stages of the production line and guided lasers markers to ensure accurate printing.
e)  Yes, they keep track of errors and supposedly account for every gram of paper in the facility.

tmort

What a great experience! Thanks for sharing with us.
Did you buy anything from the souvenir shop? 8)
I have been thinking about buying some uncut sheets from their website.
Ted

CPMS member
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!

Thanks for all the info and photos :)
Shylo

Thanks for sharing... sounds like you had a great trip..

This would definetely make it on my list of things to do if I ever was in Washington
Bruxi

I can't believe they have a million bucks just sitting there....
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

I can't believe they have a million bucks just sitting there....

LOL its not like its completely easy to just pickup and run off with. But then again what's a million dollars when they're printing basically a billion dollars a day via QE

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

@tmort,

Yes, I did buy a couple of souvenirs from the BEP Souvenir Store. 

What shocked me.... There is NO state taxes on any of their items in the souvenir store.   I bought a gold plated $ sign pin for $5 (made in USA for BEP) and a BEP postcard for $0.25.  Total cost $5.25.

Login with username, password and session length