Author
Topic: 20$ Journey Notes almost a year after...  (Read 13529 times)
PaperorPlastic
« on: September 26, 2013, 05:47:41 pm »

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the forum as you can probably see so just thought I'd say hi first of all :).

I'm pretty new to paper money collecting but I'm slowly making a collection and looking out for neat stuff so I'm getting there.

It's been almost a year since the new polymer 20$ were introduced and in my area Journeys are becoming pretty hard to get.  For one thing the atm at my bank hasn't given a single Journey 20$ in almost a month now.  :-[ I used to get a nice mix of Journey/Polymer since early this year until recently. I'm wondering how the situation is elsewhere because it seems like they are either starting to take out the old ones or have diluted the supply very well with polymers.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:16:15 pm »

I'm new to the forum as you can probably see so just thought I'd say hi first of all

"Hi there and welcome to the forum"

Good luck with your collection.  In the GTA area where I'm from I've still seen many ATM's and banks dispense about a 50/50 ratio though sometimes its less or all Polymer.
I am sure the supply of older Journey $20 must be getting pretty diluted. It will be only a matter of time before we notice them disappear altogether.
So what part of Canada are you from?

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:59 pm »

So what part of Canada are you from?

Montreal  ;)  Might be a phase in my area but I won't hold my breath knowing how well the RCM mint recycles old coins and the BoC the bills. 

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:52:02 pm »

Welcome PaperorPlastic!  You found the right site.  Lots of fellow collectors here and tons of paper money info. 

Smile from your heart.  ;D
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:10:51 pm »

Welcome PaperorPlastic!  You found the right site.  Lots of fellow collectors here and tons of paper money info. 

Thank you!  I have seen a lot of info here as well as friendly forumers  :) and the serial number database you have is very impressive.  Actually thanks to it I found out I have an insert replacement bill  ;D  Hoping to soon get the Charlton guide...Do you think it would be wise to wait for the next edition or to pick up the current one?

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17:06 am »

Depends how you feel.  The latest Charlton Catalogue got released a couple of months ago, so it is fairly recent.   Alternatively, because you are in a larger city, you could borrow the book from your city's central/main library.  Vancouver's library, for example, has the latest catalogue for the public to borrow in general circulation.  Up to you to decide.   Or, you could always drop by the Chapter's/Indigo book store, as they have copies for sale, and you can lounge around and read while having a cup of Starbucks coffee.   ;)

Smile from your heart.  ;D
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:01:49 pm »

Actually thanks to it I found out I have an insert replacement bill

That's actually quite a lucky find.  I used to take out loads of $20 in search of change-overs & I would find an insert once every other week (after searching 100's of 20's) & it made me appreciate how hard they are to locate.  Mind you- I have yet to find a polymer insert.

Alternatively, because you are in a larger city, you could borrow the book from your city's central/main library.
coinsplus offers good advice.   Why not borrow the catalogue to get a good idea the kind of info & whether you want to pursue the hobby to another level?

Take a look through it and if it really is a book you'd like to own- then you can purchase at the locations he suggests (or even online). 

Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:58:49 pm »

Ici à Montréal, the supply of Journey $20s is slowly starting to dry up.  But it's still quite mixed... 

Today the cash drawer at one of the coffee shops at the Royal Vic had a nice stack of $20s, almost all Journeys.

A few days ago, the guy at the dep. near me said he hadn't seen a Journey $20 in about a week.

What I have been getting a lot of lately, are some heavily beat up Polymers.

Marc :)
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:25:48 am »

I also received a bunch of well-used Journey $20 notes at my last ABM withdrawal a couple of weeks ago somewhere in Ottawa.  No polymers whatsoever in that bunch.

No hay banda  
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 07:08:33 pm »

The RBC machine in the lobby of my faculty building has had nothing but Journey $20s almost ever since the launch of the Polymers. My last few withdrawals have all been paper notes, and overall that machine is close to 9/10 times giving paper notes.
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »

Hmm it seems that it varies depending on where you are locally.  Another factor also is which areas are getting bombarded by new polymer notes whereas others not so much.  I'm hoping I start seeing some Journeys again soon, I really don't like the polymers  :D

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 07:58:00 pm »

And thank you for the suggestions about the charlton guide!  ;)

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 05:43:09 pm »

Well it looks like there is still a lot of fluctuation in what you get from those atms.  Today when I went, 9/10 20$ bills were Journeys!  First time a single journey has come out of the machine for me since the middle of august.  There were two journey macklem notes in the bunch and they looked like crap, there was a 2005 note in better shape then them  :-D

AlbertaGuy
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 06:27:55 pm »

Its odd where I live too, if I go to CIBC its almost always all Journey while the Scotia Bank gives out half Journey and half Poly or the rare time all Poly

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 08:02:59 pm »

All Journey $20 at my ATM in GTA yesterday (10/07).

Login with username, password and session length