Author
Topic: Bank of Canada issues the new $5 and $10 polymer bank notes  (Read 9746 times)
suretteda
« on: October 02, 2013, 10:55:39 am »

Thursday, 7 November 2013

New $5 and $10 polymer bank notes

Bank of Canada issues the new $5 and $10 polymer bank notes
Details will follow in a media advisory.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/media-room/upcoming-events/?y=2013&mth=11
tmort
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:28:28 am »

Not much hype around the new releases! Is everyone excited?
Are you planning to put away a bundle of each the first day??? 8)

CPMS member
AlbertaGuy
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »

I'll probably camp out in front of my bank the night before.  :D

Kidding of course, would the notes actually be in the local branches that day? and yes I am excited.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:54:05 pm »

I wouldn't lift a finger to get the newest issue of notes.  Never have, never will.

No hay banda  
FogDevil
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:25:51 pm »

I'm not looking forward to the new notes, to be honest.  In fact, my interest in serial numbers and banknotes has been in decline since 2008, plus I haven't set foot in any bank to do over-the-counter banking since July 2012, due to lack of new $5 and $10 bills in recent years.  In fact, I heard from a Scotiabank employee I dealt with when seeing her at a supermarket, that the branch never had any new $10 bills during 2012.  That teller cited it as being "a first" for that branch - going a full calendar year without any new $10 bills.

I think I will play the waiting game and wait for the new polymer bills to appear in my change eventually.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 09:38:52 pm »

I think the polymer has been a pretty big disappointment up till now.  The colours have been so drab (compared to the digital photos we were fed on the computer via the net) and they seemed easily worn/destroyed.  

Maybe with the introduction of the new $5.00 & $10.00 our impression will change but I'll be very surprised if it does.  Both designs look a little more intriguing.  

I think a lot of us are preoccupied with how the Journey fives/tens end (what 2011 prefixes get released or which notes will be the "keepers.")  Really I think the big story is in the BOC thread about what's happened to the 2011 M/C notes.   ::)

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 11:40:00 pm »

Really I think the big story is in the BOC thread about what's happened to the 2011 M/C notes.   ::)

Nobody will be thinking about the old series for the first couple of weeks after the release of the new series during the "honeymoon phase".  Unless the Bank of Canada puts out a release on November 7th saying that the old series will be retired immediately, it will take a while before we have any idea if the remaining unissued Journey notes will be put into circulation or not.

No hay banda  
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 09:15:36 pm »

Sorry I meant to state many of us are occupied with the last of the Journey $5.00 & $10.00 which has been reflected in the "Canadian Journey" section & thread incorrectly entitled "Macklem-Carney $5.00 and 410" found here: http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=13537.msg60946#msg60946  From the traffic and responses to this thread, I believe I'm just stating the obvious here.

Nobody will be thinking about the old series for the first couple of weeks after the release of the new series during the "honeymoon phase".
You are probably correct in that many collectors will be preoccupied with the "new kid on the block" note (& there is indeed a honeymoon phase to anything new) but those of us who've been through this before will be frantically searching the old paper to see if we can snag a few keepers before they disappear.  Like the $20 now, we all know it won't take long before it gets harder to source the older stuff.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 02:13:59 pm »

Live events for the press in Vancouver (with VIA Rail President and CEO) and Montreal (with astronaut Chris Hadfield) on November 7th.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2013/11/media-advisories/bank-canada-circulating-new-5-and-10-polymer-bank-notes/

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
tmort
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 07:09:40 pm »

Our banks won't have the new bills for a couple weeks, I expect. >:(

CPMS member
suretteda
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 01:20:56 pm »

Ottawa, Ontario - The Bank of Canada has announced the entry into circulation of the new $5 and $10 polymer bank notes. Starting today, these final two notes in the new polymer Frontiers series will be available at financial institutions across Canada.

Bank of Canada Governor Stephen S. Poloz launched the $5 note at the Canadian Space Agency in Saint-Hubert, Quebec. He was joined by Chris Hadfield, retired Canadian astronaut and former Commander of the International Space Station. The $10 note was launched at an event held simultaneously at Vancouver’s train station by Senior Deputy Governor Tiff Macklem and VIA Rail Canada President and Chief Executive Officer Marc Laliberté.

“With the introduction of the $5 and $10, we complete the rollout of a series that is at the frontier of bank note technology and sets a global benchmark for bank note security,” said Governor Poloz. “These leading-edge notes are not only hard to counterfeit, but they are also designed to be easy to check. All five denominations in the Frontiers series carry the same security features that help Canadians verify them with ease and ensure that counterfeiting levels in Canada remain very low.”

For the first time since the 1954 series, the Bank of Canada is issuing two notes on the same day. This helps manufacturers, owners and operators of bank note equipment upgrade their machines at a lower cost. The Bank of Canada has been working closely with Canada’s financial sector and the cash-handling industry since 2009 and throughout the launch of this series to support a successful transition to polymer notes.

“Not only are these notes safer, they are also cheaper and greener than the previous series,” said Senior Deputy Governor Macklem. “They last longer than paper notes, which will save millions of dollars, since fewer polymer notes will have to be printed. Fewer notes produced means fewer notes transported and this means a reduced impact on the Canadian environment. Plus, polymer notes will be recycled.”

Chris Hadfield spoke of the significance of featuring Canadian robotics innovations on the new $5 note. “The Canadarm2 and Dextre images on the $5 bank note remind me of the determination, ingenuity and dedication of so many people at the Canadian Space Agency, in the space industry and academia across the country. As Canadians use the new $5 note and see these space symbols, I know they will be reminded of these qualities,” he said.

Marc Laliberté added that VIA Rail is proud that the new $10 note features the Canadian train. “Today is the 128th anniversary of the driving of the last spike that completed the construction of Canada’s railway, and linked the country from sea to sea. So it is only fitting that this new $10 bank note should celebrate the pioneering spirit, and the true grit and determination of Canadians who helped unite our country, with the promise of an even better future.”

The themes of the denominations are:

$100 Medical Innovation - celebrates Canadian innovations in the field of medicine (Portrait: Sir Robert Borden)

$50 CCGS Amundsen, Research Icebreaker - reflects Canada’s commitment to Arctic research and the development and support of northern communities (Portrait: William Lyon Mackenzie King)

$20 The Canadian National Vimy Memorial - evokes the contributions and sacrifices of Canadians in conflicts throughout our history (Portrait: HM Queen Elizabeth II)

$10 The Canadian train - represents Canada’s great engineering feat of linking its eastern and western frontiers by what was, at the time, the longest railway ever built (Portrait: Sir John A. Macdonald)

$5 Canadarm2 and Dextre - symbolizes Canada’s continuing contribution to the international space station program through robotics innovation (Portrait: Sir Wilfrid Laurier)

More information on the new Frontiers series can be obtained by contacting Media Relations, 613 782-8782.

Topic: Bank Notes News

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2013/11/publications/press-releases/bank-canada-issues-5-and-10-polymer-bank-notes/

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2013/11/publications/speeches/5-and-10-bank-note-issue-2/

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2013/11/publications/speeches/5-and-10-bank-note-issue/
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 06:14:37 pm »

I attended today's official Bank of Canada launch of the $10 note in Vancouver.  The venue was quite tight given that it took nearly half the train stations's waiting room.   Weather was wet and rainy. 

Anyhow the $10 notes they distributed to media were FTC prefix with Carney / Macklem signatures.  Just like the one pictured in this photo:

Smile from your heart.  ;D

Login with username, password and session length