Author
Topic: 1971 EES 10 Dollar changeover  (Read 6026 times)
rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« on: October 10, 2013, 09:32:11 pm »

I was looking at the Charlton Paper Money book and saw that there are only 3 of the Lawson-Bouey EES notes.  I have a Crow-Bouey EES note serial number 9981698.  Does anyone know when the changeover happened?

Weeles
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 08:35:10 am »

Hello,

If you go into the Charlton catalog at the start of the 1969-1975 issues it explains the serial numbers that fall under the prefixes regarding the signatures. So your EES note with Crow/Bouey, the serial number range is 0000000-9999999 excluding notes in the range of 7240317-7250768 so far as these are the high and low serial numbers seen with Lawson/Bouey signatures.

Wayne

Been collecting few bills for about 15 years but now getting into more serious collecting.

rarecoins2001
    • One coin per country collectors group
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 09:53:09 am »

It seems odd that the signatures changed in the middle of the run and then changed back.  I was trying to figure out the series of events but could not.

Weeles
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 01:09:15 pm »

You are somewhat confused as these notes are not changeovers, they are called Good Overs. I am new to collecting and i am not quite sure how this happened. Someone on this forum should be able to explain correctly how a goodover note comes to be.

Been collecting few bills for about 15 years but now getting into more serious collecting.

Bob
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 06:32:36 pm »

You can get a little information in the catalogue in the introduction to the Multicoloured series, under "Anomalies".  Also a search of this site for "good overs" should be productive.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 06:51:14 pm »

they are called Good Overs.
That's right.  "Good Over" notes are much rare than most change-overs.   Apparently they are notes with an old signature combination (already printed on sheets) and used later in a newer (more recent) signature combination typically high serial number range.  

On Page 283 of the 2013 Charlton (25th Ed) it explains that:
""... nearly all of the $10 notes were signed Crow-Bouey. However the Lawson-Bouey signatures made a surprising reappearance on notes EET 9360000 to EET 9999999, when 640,000 Lawson-Bouey notes were salvaged from defective sheets and assigned these numbers. Recently $10 notes signed Lawson-Bouey have been reported in series EEP (over 9,000,000) and EES as well. They appear to be quite rare."

This phenomenon (I believe) also happened with very few BIRDS EPW $5.00 with the old Bonin-Thiessen signature combination applied to HNB  (& it could be possible that the few AUG - AUN were another type of good-over -perhaps testing the new Thiessen-Crow signature combination on older Crow-Bouey AUG-AUN prefixed serial numbers).

JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 12:45:02 pm »

This phenomenon (I believe) also happened with very few BIRDS EPW $5.00 with the old Bonin-Thiessen signature combination applied to HNB  (& it could be possible that the few AUG - AUN were another type of good-over -perhaps testing the new Thiessen-Crow signature combination on older Crow-Bouey AUG-AUN prefixed serial numbers).

Actually, EPW had signature Thiessen-Crow. For some reason a handfull of those notes ended up with Crow-Bouey signatures which is very strange because the changeover from the 2 signatures occured in EPC.
The other being HNB which is even more unusual as Bonin-Thiessen was on notes printed back in 1996 till 1999 while HNB notes were issued for circulation somewhere around 2005. It is true though that the CBN didn't print any $5 Knight-Thiessen notes but it still me makes wonder how such a mistake can occur like that.
Snoman
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:50:25 am »

Actually, EPW had signature Thiessen-Crow. For some reason a handfull of those notes ended up with Crow-Bouey signatures which is very strange because the changeover from the 2 signatures occured in EPC.
The other being HNB which is even more unusual as Bonin-Thiessen was on notes printed back in 1996 till 1999 while HNB notes were issued for circulation somewhere around 2005. It is true though that the CBN didn't print any $5 Knight-Thiessen notes but it still me makes wonder how such a mistake can occur like that.

No real mystery, they fulfilled their contract for the $5 with the B/T signature back in 1996 but had some sheets left over so they held onto them til the next order came in and then they used them and completed the new order with the newest signatures.

Login with username, password and session length