Author
Topic: Underscore on Plate Numbers  (Read 3760 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 24, 2013, 11:30:43 pm »

I am not very familiar with notes prior to the Journey Series. I noticed that there was an underscore below the plate numbers used in some of the bird series and multicolour series notes that I recently saw.

Initially I thought that was to distinguish between the bottom of a 6 and a 9. But the underscores appear random to me e.g. I saw underscore on a "4" and a "35". The note that had an underscore on a "35" on the back did not have any underscore on the "29" in the front.

Can someone point me in the right direction. I am interested in understanding the use of plate numbers and their evolution. I understand that now they are more of position numbers (but in some respect there is a unique plate at each position).

Has there been something formally written on this topic? I saw a topic using search and it only provided some basic information. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Bob
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 05:27:37 pm »

This phenomenon (underlining of position numbers) marks the transition from plate numbers (not underlined) to position numbers (underlined).  See the article by Don Roebuck in CPMS Newsletter, Sept. 2004, pages 72-75.  Members will have on-line access to all issues of the Newsletter via "My CPMS" on the Society's web site.  I think you will find it helpful.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:29:59 pm »

I think you will find it helpful.

Indeed it was very helpful. Thank you for pointing it out. As I was reading that 2004 issue of CPMS there was mention of new $20 journey notes entering the circulation. It felt like there was similar excitement at that time as for the new polymers now.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length