Author
Topic: Why??!!??  (Read 7546 times)
Shylo
« on: December 16, 2013, 09:39:44 am »

So I have recently purchased a few notes out on the bay...

The first one arrived on Friday and I was a bit dissapointed when I saw it. Granted some of these notes are not UNC to start with (in fact far from it)... But basically it was put into a plastic sleeve and mailed of in a while envelope with standard mail.

When I received it there were actually creases in the plastic protector!!

Why no cardboard...? And this comes from a seller who has good rating and good feedback and who has shipped notes before!

From now on I'm going to ask specifics on how they ship the notes prior to payment... but just curious what do others here suggest for shipping notes..

For just mid grade notes I've always been happy with cardboard, plastic protector and standard sized brown envelope.. for anything high grade.. all the same but in a buble wrapped envelop... does anyone here do anything a bit different?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:49:46 pm »

I usually use a plastic sleeve and cardboard stiffener. I also write in large lettering on the envelope "PHOTOS - DO NOT BEND".

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
AlbertaGuy
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:50:57 pm »

My pet peeve is that Ebay allows the word "rare" in a listing.

Some sellers think everything they own is rare. Bugs me.

;)

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:38:16 pm »

For just mid grade notes I've always been happy with cardboard, plastic protector and standard sized brown envelope.. for anything high grade.. all the same but in a buble wrapped envelop... does anyone here do anything a bit different?

All notes I sell go into min plastic sleeve and cardboard...instead of paying 63 cents it might cost you $1.10 because of extra weight.
High end stuff is always in sleeves or even plastic currency holder, stiff cardboard and maybe bubble wrap.  Usually by Xpresspost so weight is not an issue so use all the stiff cardboard you have. If sending notes to RR addresses where they have outdoor mailboxes I always put notes into ziplock bag in case rain or snow gets into the box
knock on wood never a complaint yet :)
I never write photos on the envelope...I figure it is only a way for postal workers to take out there frustration when they go postal

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 08:30:06 pm »

My pet peeve is when sellers tape the note holder closed and the tape goes on the note.  People (if you're guilty of this) please use post-its folded over the open (up side) of the note holder so no residue hits your note.  Thanks!

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:39:31 pm »

So, then there was no damage to the notes?

What did you pay for shipping?

No hay banda  
Shylo
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 02:24:04 am »

There were a couple creases in the note... but the note wasn't exactly UNC to begin with so I really can't tell if they were due to postal damage or previous... from looking at the photo I would say postal... but I can't be certain..

I have learned now to always ask for the cardboard.... still on the fence about mentioning the photos or not...
CMNWEALTH
  • One Chromosome between Insane and Genious !
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 06:05:01 pm »

I feel your pain...

I had a very expensive rare replacement note damaged during transit from South America. I had been hunting for this particular note for close to a decade. The seller literally just placed it in an envelope and shipped it to my residence.
My first reaction was extreme anger followed by sadness once my blood pressure came down.

From that point on I`ve always asked the seller(s) to post in a hardback envelope...

P.S - I received a full refund in exchange for a stern verbal lashing...lol
P.S.S- Still haven`t found the note.. :(
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 08:35:36 pm »

What did you pay for shipping?

No hay banda  
Shylo
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 11:39:19 pm »

I believe shipping costs were $2.00 or so..... not much but it certainly doesn't cost a lot extra to cut up a file folder, or cereal box and fold it over the plastic protector....

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 12:48:44 pm »

I frequently purchase on "the Bay"  and I have noticed several sellers will also overdo it on protecting the note while shipping. Too many times I have received notes berried under lairs of tape and trying to cut it out without knowing where the banknote lies.

A few recommendation

- Sellers who ship your items with a tracking number will tend to put a bit more effort in protecting your note properly.
- It never hurts to slide in a fewspecial request when sending your payment
- Never assume the seller knows more than you do.

KC's Canadian Currency

Login with username, password and session length