Author
Topic: Ratings of new bills purchased at the Bank  (Read 3907 times)
Wilson
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:52:55 pm »

Before the new Polymer notes were issued, I made it a point to purchase the existing Upgraded Security Issue  of the 5, 10 & 20 Paper notes. The ones I did save were brand new uncirculated and also being consecutive notes.
My question is the rating grade, I have had opinions ranging from Uncirculated to Gem-Uncirculated. So does anyone know the correct grade of these particular notes?
tripoli
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:14:40 pm »

Are you asking opinions about notes directly from the bank?   Kinda difficult without seeing them....they may be UNC, but there are all sorts of mishaps they could encounter before getting to you including counting flicks, and corner dings that would drop their grade below UNC.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:45:18 am »

Before the new Polymer notes were issued, I made it a point to purchase the existing Upgraded Security Issue  of the 5, 10 & 20 Paper notes. The ones I did save were brand new uncirculated and also being consecutive notes.
My question is the rating grade, I have had opinions ranging from Uncirculated to Gem-Uncirculated. So does anyone know the correct grade of these particular notes?
I am not saying your notes are not unc  or better since I have not seen them BUT
Just because notes came from the bank you cannot make the assumption that they are uncirculated..
First of all, even if a note is in a new sealed brick it can grade less than unc.. Journey notes have many issues that prevent them from getting high grades including as stated in another members post, cup marks, and other paper flaws...If you have access to a Charlton Canadian Government Paper Money catalogue check out the section on how the Journey series is graded...You can also check out BCS's website on grading notes which shows some specific issues with pictures showing possible flaws..
Good luck...
If you determine that your notes are not of the high standards you originally thought...you can always ask some forum members what they have...Many brickers that have access to new notes will surely be able to supply you with GEM unc notes for a nominal fee if anything plus postage....assuming your not looking for special prefixes. numbers, etc.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length