Author
Topic: Bank of Canada invites Canadians to comment on bank note design principles  (Read 3748 times)
suretteda

Bank of Canada invites Canadians to comment on bank note design principles

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Relations
613 782-8782
Ottawa, Ontario
8 October 2014

The Bank of Canada today announced that it is inviting Canadians to comment on the principles that guide the design of the country’s bank notes.

The consultation, which will take place until 10 November, is a way for Canadians to contribute in an unprecedented way to the design of future bank note series. Canadians can participate in an online survey by visiting our Principles for Bank Note Design web page. The Bank will publish a summary of the comments received before the end of the year.

The consultation stems from a review the Bank conducted for the process used to select, develop and design the visual content for the Polymer series of bank notes. The review concluded that Canadians should have increased participation in the design process for the next series.

The Bank wants to include Canadians’ input at every stage of the design process. This consultation seeks to solidify the foundation upon which the visual content - theme, subject matter and images - will be developed in the future.

The Bank will also benefit from Canadians’ ideas on how images can respect these principles.

When the Bank begins work on the next series, it will again seek input from Canadians.

Content Type(s): Press, Press Releases

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2014/10/bank-canada-invites-canadians-comment/

Principles for Bank Note Design

Learn about the principles for bank note design and the key elements of the bank note design process. You can also read our review of the design process used for the Polymer series and participate in our online survey.

In 2014 the Bank undertook a review of the processes used to select and design the visual content of its polymer bank notes. The review recommends more input from a greater number of Canadians throughout the design process. This online survey and future public consultations will provide valuable input upon which visual content for bank notes will be developed.

The Bank of Canada is formalizing a set of principles that will guide the design of Canadian bank notes and serve as the foundation upon which the visual content (theme, subject matter and images) for bank notes is developed in the future. These principles may be augmented with specific criteria for a particular series.

In developing and designing a new series of bank notes, the Bank will be guided by the following principles.

Security is paramount

The Bank is committed to supplying Canadians with quality bank notes that are readily accepted and secure against counterfeiting. Security is paramount, and visual content must support the chosen security elements. In practice, the need for robust security features imposes limits on the design elements.

Functional and recognizable

Bank notes must be functional and usable in automated banking machines (ABMs) and other cash-handling machines. They must also be recognizable as Canadian notes and readily accepted as a means of payment. Certain visual elements may be retained from one series to the next to support these goals.

Accessible

The design supports the Bank’s commitment to providing blind and partially-sighted Canadians with an effective suite of accessibility features so they can recognize bank note denominations.

Official languages

In accordance with the Bank of Canada Act, bank notes are printed in both English and French.

Reflect Canada

A series of bank notes is a unique opportunity to represent Canada. Each series depicts new visual content so that, over time, the diversity of Canadian society, culture and achievements are celebrated. Bank notes:

promote Canada and Canadians - our values, culture, history, traditions, achievements and/or natural heritage;
are clearly identifiable as Canadian through the use of symbols, words or images;
are meaningful to Canadians today and for years to come; and
evoke pride and confidence in Canada.
Broad appeal to Canadians

Bank notes combine art and technology. They integrate visual content with security features and functional requirements resulting in aesthetically pleasing bank notes that have a broad appeal among Canadians.

The Process of Designing Bank Notes
To satisfy these principles and provide additional clarity about the process for designing a series of notes, the Bank is laying out the groundwork for future consultations on visual content. The following are key elements of the bank note design process.

Role of the Minister of Finance

The Bank of Canada Act states that “the form and material of the notes of the Bank shall be subject to approval by the Minister [of Finance].” As such, the Minister of Finance is consulted throughout the process.

In addition, the Bank consults with relevant experts, organizations and government departments to ensure that the chosen subject-matter elements are appropriately depicted.

Consulting with Canadians

Now more than ever, Canadians wish to be consulted on matters that affect them. The Bank recognizes that in order to design bank notes that have broad appeal and reflect Canada, we need more input from Canadians. Therefore, we will consult more openly and with a larger number of Canadians on the development of visual content for new bank note series (theme, subject matter and images), while applying the criteria developed for the series in question.

The Bank will conduct broader and more representative consultations by using a variety of approaches (both qualitative and quantitative) and by leveraging new technology, where appropriate. We will invite more Canadians to contribute ideas toward the selection of bank note images. We will ensure that a representative cross-section of Canada’s population has an opportunity to provide feedback.

The Bank will also consult with Canadians to determine their appetite for changes in the established conventions regarding bank note design (e.g., whether notes celebrate individual achievements or celebrate the collective accomplishments of Canadians; whether the portrait subjects should change, and, if yes, the criteria for selecting new portrait subjects).

The Bank will report back to Canadians on the results of any consultation to ensure greater transparency around the design process.

Have Your Say

The Bank’s mandate is to issue quality bank notes that are secure against counterfeiting and readily accepted as a means of payment. Principles such as security, accessibility and bilingualism are necessary because they are mandated by law or require considerable technical expertise. However, in order to reflect Canada in a bank note series that has broad appeal, the Bank needs to hear from Canadians. This is why the Bank is seeking your input on the principles for bank note design and how the nation’s bank notes can best reflect Canada.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/principles-bank-note-design/
Seth
  • Very Senior Member

Wow, I am surprised that the BoC is already musing about future bank note series when it has been less than a year since the latest notes of the current series were released. The age of Australia's current polymer series is pushing 20 years; that's the sort of longevity I had been expecting for ours too.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member

This was a long-time coming. This is good news for users and collectors for Canadian banknotes.

The fact that the Bank of Canada has already started working on the next series was seen in the 2013 annual report. After that the Bank of Canada has hired a Project Manager to facilitate the process of new Bank Note Design.

I had communicated with the Bank of Canada to express a desire to comment on the visual design of the Bank Notes. I had gotten a sense that they were going to be going through this process which is certainly unprecedented in Canada but not necessarily being done for the first time in Canada.

Ever since I have been part of this forum I have heard that the Bank of Canada is reluctant to share information. I think the times might be changing.

I have always felt that things like layouts and such are no secrets. Many jurisdictions easily provide this information to the public. It has never been clear to me why BoC is not providing it. I think this may be a sign that the future may hold room for more public disclosure in matters that are not impacted by security concerns. Of late I have had some positive responses from the BoC.

I hope that members of this forum are able to take advantage of this unprecedented opportunity.

I know I certainly will.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652

I certainly took the time to share some of my concerns with the current series (lack of design, intaglio & coat of arms) when compared with the older classic notes.

I hope that the Bank of Canada will test the longevity of this series and extend it until at least 2025 before they begin to replace them. 

What good are all the stats if you're just going to ignore them and shorten the lifespan, costing taxpayers more money?

Login with username, password and session length