Author
Topic: M/C prefixes HBG, FTH, BSW, AMK and EKZ  (Read 4655 times)
AZ
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:33:25 am »

There appear to be similarities between M/C prefixes HBG ($5), FTH ($10), BSW ($20), AMK ($50) and EKZ ($100):

1. The notes from these prefixes (except for AMK) were shown to the public during the unveiling of the new series.

2. Only a few notes from each prefix have been found in circulation, from narrow ranges of 200K-400K notes.

3. These prefixes are preceded by partially printed or missing prefixes (partial FTG, partial BSV, partial AHG and missing AHH and AHJ, partial EKY). There are also two $50 AHL notes in SNDB, but it is likely there were entered in error, and the prefix was never printed.

What can we conclude from this? I know some members of the forum already have a few ideas.

1. These prefixes could be printed first, followed by the rest of the prefixes in "normal" order.

2. It is possible that more notes where printed than what we can see from the ranges found in circulation. For instance, an HBG 1.3m note was shown during the unveiling. Perhaps, the entire range of 3.7 m HBG M/C notes was printed (as reported by the BOC), but most of these notes were not released and possibly destroyed. As to the other $5 M/C prefixes, I strongly doubt they were ever printed.

3. Considering notes from all of these 5 prefixes were found in circulation, I would speculate that they were released intentionally, perhaps as test notes.

Of course, I could be wrong and more notes from these prefixes will be eventually surface. Time will tell. For the time being, I would suggest saving these notes until we know more about them.
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 10:36:38 pm »

Interesting possible theories. For sure the prefixes you all listed need to be monitored closely.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 10:19:12 pm »

What can we conclude from this? I know some members of the forum already have a few ideas.

1. These prefixes could be printed first, followed by the rest of the prefixes in "normal" order.

Yes, this idea was already put forward by none other than yours truly back in July during a discussion of prefix EKZ.

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=14363.msg62917#msg62917
http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=14363.msg62930#msg62930

Naturally, I want to take all the credit for these rare prefixes.  (LMAO)  ::)

HOWEVER, I would caution against being a little *too* speculative such as suggesting all notes of these prefixes could be test notes.  A few notes may very well have been used for test purposes.  Who knows for sure except the people who work for the Bank and were directly involved with the testing?  Test notes meant to circulate are a different story.  Test notes usually come out well after a series has been in issue when the Bank wants to test new features on an established series.  It would not make intuitive sense for these special prefixes to be printed before all others AND be different from the notes put widely into circulation.  The polymer series is still quite young, even if someone wants to remind us that the Bank is already planning the series to come after the first polymer series.

No hay banda  
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:02:09 pm »

Test notes meant to circulate are a different story.  Test notes usually come out well after a series has been in issue when the Bank wants to test new features on an established series.  It would not make intuitive sense for these special prefixes to be printed before all others AND be different from the notes put widely into circulation. 
That's true as this is the case for all the known test notes. E/R, G/R, S/R, AXA, EXA, RS, 3300 and GOG. 

Login with username, password and session length