Author
Topic: HBG  (Read 6350 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:33:52 am »

There have been significant quantities (numerous bricks, plus countless smaller amounts) of notes below 3.197M found.  A suggested maximum fair price for these notes is $20 each in G.Unc.

Further, a number of bundles of G.Unc notes between 3.197M to 3.593M have been found.  This is the same range as that of the first HBG Macklem/Carney notes found when we all thought they were ultra rare.  Although they seem not to be quite as common as the lower-numbered notes, there are still many of these notes available in top grades.  A suggested maximum fair price for these notes is $50 each in G.Unc.

Not really sure the justification of this range being worth $50 as opposed to $20 as well?
Especially since bundles are being found...IMO

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 11:23:39 am »

You have perhaps misinterpreted.  Those numbers are suggested maximum fair prices.  Nothing in that post is meant to justify being able to charge that much for any of the notes.  I fully expect that all HBG M/C notes will trade quite below $50, perhaps even around half of the suggested maximum fair prices, or even less.

The whole point is to discourage anyone from paying very high prices thinking that the notes are somehow quite rare (perhaps being unaware of the recent substantial quantities being widely available).

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 09:15:32 pm »

Just won a 3.1M M/C note on Ebay for $7.70 shipped for my prefix collection...

Looks like people on Ebay are starting to to get that these are not rare anymore as well  ;D A quick search shows hundreds of them currently available there.

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:09:26 pm »

HBG under 3200000, bricks have been found and estimated value is $20

HBG over 3200000, bundles have been found.  Since bundles are 1/10th the size of bricks, logic tells us these notes should be worth $20 x 10 = $200.

:D

Coincidentally, I just found HBG 3353512 in AU condition.  First time getting one in Ottawa.  Now if only I could get $160 for it.  :)

No hay banda  
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 10:15:31 pm »

Its funny 4 months ago I would have jumped for joy getting a HBG now every few days I get one in change and just say d*&n not an other one :D
mctire
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 09:54:26 pm »

Went through 400 circulated notes and found only 5 but well used.  Still worth $5 ea though.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 11:38:30 pm »

Went through 400 circulated notes and found only 5 but well used.  Still worth $5 ea though.

Very low and very high serial number HCGs have been around for a while. Mid number HCG's have started coming out. Unlike some theories that seem to suggest that bundles somehow get pushed into the back of the vault I believe that the Bank of Canada decides how they are print and circulate each prefix.

There is enough physical evidence now to suggest that notes may not necessarily be printed sequentially in each run. An example of the evidence is the distribution of the Truncated Issue $20 bank notes. The distribution of the Truncated notes possibly give some idea about when certain ranges may have been printed.

The $5 star notes is another example. The existence of stars on some notes and not others is not simply because of some occasional printing variation but related to plates used. There is a whole range in HAD which jives well with the skip numbers and ream sizes that has stars but no other range in HAD does.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
JB-2007
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:35:58 pm »

Actually saw an HBG M/C note today in the 3.2M range. Was in very very bad condition. Perhaps the worst condition that i have seen in a polymer note.

Login with username, password and session length