Author
Topic: BAI Banknote Layout $20 Polymer - skip numbered 50000???  (Read 4089 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:53:24 pm »

I have been trying to decipher the banknote layout of the BAI $20 Polymer notes with prefixes from BIE-BIZ and BSA-BSV. The wiki - "BAI and CBN Printing Layouts" identifies the layout that is applicable as BAI:Layout 6.

There is no other information I can find particularly relating to the skip numbering.

Based on my own database I have determined that the layout for all the prefixes from BIE-BIZ and BSA-BSV have a skip numbering of 50,000.

I have not seen any mention of such a high skip number in any of the information I have read on this topic so far, but that's how the numbers add up based on the information that I have.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done any research on this or has read anything about it or might have some thoughts on it.

Also I have noticed in my database that there are certain position numbers for certain prefixes that are completely missing even though my total note count for those prefixes is almost 4 times what would be required to have one note of each prefix with each position number. I am guessing that this is because of a "regional" bias as my database is composed of notes mostly from one region. However if I wanted to cross-check if indeed some position numbers were more sparse than others is there anyway it can be done through the SNDB for prefixes in BIE-BSV range?

In other words would it be possible to get a frequency distribution of position numbers for each of the prefixes in the BIE-BSV range?

Thank you

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:53:29 am »

For all BAI polymer $20 prefixes, the notes are skip numbered by 50,000 from 0000000 to 8999999 and by 22,000 from 9000000 to 9989999.  No notes above this point have been reported yet.

As for the missing positions, your data does seem anomalous.  The SNDB (currently) has 48,144 notes from these prefixes and reports a fairly even distribution across all 45 positions with the low (99) being 985 notes, the high (63) being 1,156 notes and the average being 1,070.  Even broken down by prefix, the data remains fairly homogeneous with nothing really sicking out as being a "rare" prefix/position pair.  All positions are represented for each prefix.

Would you care to add your data to the SNDB so that it can be used together with what's already there?  Your most recently entered note was from January.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:41:17 am »

For all BAI polymer $20 prefixes, the notes are skip numbered by 50,000 from 0000000 to 8999999 and by 22,000 from 9000000 to 9989999.  No notes above this point have been reported yet.

That's great. Thank you for confirming the skip numbers. Has anything been reported on this or mentioned on this? If skip number is to be understood as a measure of a ream then 50,000 did strike me as a very large ream size. Of course it does not preclude the fact that within the same skip number range there are multiple strikes starting where the previous serial number was done.

The largest skip number that I have come across being reported was 10,000. So I am surprised that no other researcher who does work in this area finds this to be an occurrence that may be subject to alternative interpretations and worth mentioning.

As for the missing positions, your data does seem anomalous.  The SNDB (currently) has 48,144 notes from these prefixes and reports a fairly even distribution across all 45 positions with the low (99) being 985 notes, the high (63) being 1,156 notes and the average being 1,070.  Even broken down by prefix, the data remains fairly homogeneous with nothing really sicking out as being a "rare" prefix/position pair.  All positions are represented for each prefix.

Thank you for clarifying. That is most useful. I believe this may indeed point towards a regional bias.

Would you care to add your data to the SNDB so that it can be used together with what's already there?  Your most recently entered note was from January.

I am working on the data that has already been entered.

Will be happy to enter anything new, interesting and not repeating itself. I am more focusing on cataloging the relationship between physical aspects of the notes and position number pairs. It takes a great amount of time cataloging images of these notes.

On another note it would be most useful if consideration is given to allow people with large contributions to get access to the raw data.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length