Author
Topic: BC-56cA, Bonin-Thiessen, 1986 $5 Replacement GPH(9.820M-9.840M) - 6 Consecutive  (Read 8235 times)
Sonofzzoro

BC-56cA, Bonin-Thiessen, 1986 $5 Replacement GPH(9.820M-9.840M) - 6 Consecutive bills GPH 9834320-9834325 and 1 single GPH 9834318.
Sonofzzoro

Pictures didn't upload first time.
JB-2007
  • Forum Moderators

Wow! Really Nice find! Are these your notes?
Sonofzzoro

Yes they belong to my family.

My Father got these bills from the bank and gave 1 each to of his grandchildren in a hard cover to put away. about 15 years ago. We had no idea that he happened to be in the right bank at the right time and received the rare GPH bills. Too Bad, he bought 50 $2 bills but only the 8 - $5 bills.

My son was looking at it about two months ago and realized they were very scarce. One bill, GPH 9834319 is missing and presumed spent.

We have now had them graded and are starting to look for potential buyers. After researching these, I can only find 12 registered examples of this prefix. Now there are 19 with these 7. I doubt there will ever be another chance to obtain 6 consecutive bill in this series graded so high.

The money will then be divided up between the grandchildren and placed in their education fund for university. If anyone knows someone who collects these, feel free to refer them to me.

Thanks

John McDonald
john.mcdonald@cogeco.ca

JB-2007
  • Forum Moderators

You should have no problem selling them, you could get up to $600/note or perhaps more if you sell them as a set as i don't think there are any other consecutively numbered GPH replacements around.
Sonofzzoro

That's about what we are looking for. Would not break up the set. If you were me, where would you advertise these ?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

You should have no problem selling them, you could get up to $600/note or perhaps more if you sell them as a set as i don't think there are any other consecutively numbered GPH replacements around.
I think in this market they will not sell as easy as you believe and for someone to take them all is even less likely Many better buys when you are thinking of spending $3600+ Of course this is only my opinion...

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

After researching these, I can only find 12 registered examples of this prefix. Now there are 19 with these 7.
Remember.... just because there are only 12 registered doesn't mean that more do not exist...many people do not like to disclose what they own. As for grade on the registry there is only one note TPG that has a lower grade than your notes...all have been graded higher. I also think the market conditions will not warrant the cat price, but who knows if you snag the right buyer...good luck and nice find.
As for selling them, there is the trading post on this forum, I believe Colonial Acres in KW is starting to have regular auctions, you may ask them if they take items or only sell what they have in stock, and some of the popular auction houses...doubt you will do well on Ebay
If you do end up auctioning them, I would make sure that you can place a reserve bid on them...you may be shocked if they sell for much less than you think they should go for....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:31:36 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100

I think in this market they will not sell as easy as you believe and for someone to take them all is even less likely Many better buys when you are thinking of spending $3600+ Of course this is only my opinion...
I have to agree.  The paper money market is currently very soft and replacements are selling for a fraction of catalogue value at auctions, on eBay and at dealer tables.

This especially holds true for the higher priced 1986 Bird replacements (GOT, GOV, GPH and ANH) and collectors looking for those notes will usually hold out for the GUnc grade.

In addition, the market value usually goes down when a quantity of scarcer notes suddenly appear on the market (simple supply and demand).  I have seen this happen many times in the past.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Sonofzzoro

TY for the info.

Login with username, password and session length