Author
Topic: Silba International Banknote  (Read 5643 times)
currencyden
    • Currency Den
« on: August 21, 2015, 02:31:12 pm »

So far I have attributed five test notes made of DuraNote synthetic called Lateron capable of embedding anti-counterfeit security devices between layers.  The joint venture of Mobil Oil and Agra firm is based out of Oakville Ontario.  The more common one (offshore platform obverse, horse drawn oil tanker reverse) has at least 25 varieties.
I have shown one variant of this note, SIL-101f. 
The other two are Einstein, Darwin, Dragonfly, and a co-produced note with LanQart with dogs' heads shown.  I can post images of the others if there's an interest. 
Anybody know of other test notes from this firm?  I am the author of The Catalog of Printers' Test Notes and The Catalog of ATM Test Notes - now both up to the 10th Edition.

IBNS Member 9555
Author: The Catalog of Printers' Test Notes
Author: The Catalog of ATM Test Notes
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 09:25:37 pm »

Great job on both catalogues Roland!

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 10:09:28 pm »

Great job on both catalogues Roland!

This indeed seems very interesting. Can these catalogues be purchased or are they available somewhere?

Also is there some terminology that explains the concept of a test note? I always thought the word "test" referred to some sort of circulation trials that were run to determine some property of the notes. It seems that samples or alternate designs may also be referred to as test notes.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Manada
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:52:34 pm »

Also is there some terminology that explains the concept of a test note? I always thought the word "test" referred to some sort of circulation trials that were run to determine some property of the notes. It seems that samples or alternate designs may also be referred to as test notes.

Quoted from within wikipedia when searching Specimen banknote is the following definition for a test note...

A test note generally has no identifiable denomination or has a fictitious currency and is used by independent printers or Government printers to showcase their printing technology or anti-counterfeiting measures, or as souvenirs at various industry tradeshows or collector events and expositions. Some test notes, generally much cruder, are issued by manufacturers of Automated Teller Machines, cash registers, banknote authenticating or counting machines for purposes of testing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specimen_banknote

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
currencyden
    • Currency Den
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 11:47:25 pm »

I would add that both printing firms and ATM manufacturers are more the different GROUPS available.
Bank note printing firms issuing test notes now include, printers, paper suppliers, ink suppliers, central banks, currency designers, and security foiling (holograms, Kinegrams, stamping foils) suppliers.   
Cash management system firms issuing test notes now include ATM manufacturers, currency counters, banks and virtual banks providing ATMs, banknote readers, banknote counters, dispensing machine manufacturers, system integrators, ATM service firms, ATM safe manufacturers, secure electronic financial transaction providers, ATM resellers, counterfeit detection equipment manufacturers, currency strappers and currency disintegrator machine manufacturers and timed access cash controller equipment manufacturers.

IBNS Member 9555
currencyden
    • Currency Den
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 12:04:04 am »

The eBooks are available on Ebay, Delcampe, Ioffer, and my website.  The website has a fair amount of additional information on test notes, propaganda & counterfeits of war, and hidden images on currency.
 http://currency_den.tripod.com/

IBNS Member 9555
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 10:24:10 pm »

Thx for the info.

Best

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length