Author
Topic: $100 Bird of Canada Variants?  (Read 4095 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: September 03, 2015, 01:21:34 am »

Recently I happened to casually look at two $100 bird series notes and could not help but notice some difference visible without magnification. Examination of the area after magnification showed something even more strange.

The following relates to the accompanying image showing a portion of the two notes.

1 - Denotes an area where the tree line in bottom note is shorter than the tree line in the other note.
2 - Denotes the orientation of the background microprinting. This is noticeably different between the two notes as shown by the short red line. It is not only noticeably different in the area shown but throughout the back.
3 - Denotes an area where the water line in the bottom note is shorter than the water line in the top note.

I do not have access to bird series notes so I am not able to determine the significance of this. However looking at images of banknotes listed on e-bay I found the following:

There are several notes that show both the variants described in item 3 above. Meaning there are notes that have the longer and shorter water lines with the longer water line more common.

Based on the magnification of images available on e-bay I cannot make observations regarding item 2 above.

With respect to item 1 I did not see any other note with a shorter tree line variant.

Charlton GPMC does mention something about hidden and clear BPN but I could not find any reference to the above noted variations.

Perhaps someone more experienced with these notes can shed some light.

Both the notes used in the images are at least an AU or better without any surface wear

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Bob
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:29:39 am »

Don Roebuck noted tint variations on Birds $20s, BABN printings, which he called chipboard patterns.  His article might be of interest in this connection - CPMS Newsletter, Mar. 2003, starts on page 4.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 11:51:48 pm »

Don Roebuck noted tint variations on Birds $20s, BABN printings, which he called chipboard patterns.  His article might be of interest in this connection - CPMS Newsletter, Mar. 2003, starts on page 4.

Thank you very much. The article was indeed of interest with respect to the condition number 2 identified in my original post. It is interesting to note that this aspect of finding by Don has not been widely publicized because technically speaking for the affected range of notes, every note on a single sheet has a different printing on it.

Is there something written up for the things described as Condition 1 and Condition 3 in my original post?

At least based on some initial observations Condition 3 appears to be a variant

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Bob
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »

Nothing more springs to mind regarding Birds series.  I'm happy that you found the reference useful.

Collecting Canadian since 1955

Login with username, password and session length