Author
Topic: Specimen notes.  (Read 5148 times)
emsteph
« on: February 21, 2005, 07:21:02 pm »

Just wondering if "Specimen notes" are spendable?

I know this would be idiotic to do such a thing, and I realize that their value is worth quite a bit, but would they be considered "legal tender"? Could someone actually walk into a store and use one?

I wish I could look a one myself to answer my own question, but I'm just too poor to own such a prize.  :'(
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 07:35:54 pm »

Technically, no, they're not legal tender.

However, if I were a store owner and someone tried to pay for something with one, I'd gladly accept it. ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 09:46:56 pm »

I was wondering the same thing, at least the more recent Specimen notes.  The 1937 Specimen notes have the missing signatures, the punched holes as well as multiple red ink and perforated "SPECIMEN" stamps.  By contrast, the Bird Specimen notes only have 3 red ink "SPECIMEN" stamps and the control number.  I don't know how many non-collecting people would notice if they were given a Bird $50 specimen note from a bank machine.

Anyone know if and when the Journey Specimen notes will be available?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 12:15:19 am »

I was wondering the same thing, at least the more recent Specimen notes.  The 1937 Specimen notes have the missing signatures, the punched holes as well as multiple red ink and perforated "SPECIMEN" stamps.  By contrast, the Bird Specimen notes only have 3 red ink "SPECIMEN" stamps and the control number.  I don't know how many non-collecting people would notice if they were given a Bird $50 specimen note from a bank machine.

Anyone know if and when the Journey Specimen notes will be available?

Hi,

I don't think we'll see Journey specimens for many years.  The series was just released and it would be like giving counterfeiters the keys to the printing press.  Maybe if the printers hold another archive sale in 20-30 years we'll see them on the market.

Dean.

comox
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 12:17:37 am »

Just received my first specimen note a couple weeks ago, and no, I am not going to spend it. What a sweet looking note with all those zeros. Closest thing to a solid radar I'll ever get my hands on. :P
If anyone wants to spend their's in my store, they are more than welcome to.  ::)

Gordo
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 12:40:38 am »

I would tend to disagree with the comment Dean made regarding giving counterfeiters the keys to the presses.

There's nothing available on a Specimen note that isn't readily available on any issued note.  The key differences between a Specimen note and an issued note are:
  • Serial number is all zeros
  • Should have a control number somewhere
  • Should have SPECIMEN stamped or punched several times on the front and back
  • Pre-1967 Specimens do not have signatures

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length