Author
Topic: Prefixes that form a Word  (Read 4004 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 01, 2015, 08:00:35 pm »

Has anyone tried to compile or know of a a list of all the Canadian banknote prefixes that are some sort of Word a Name or an Acronym in English? in French? in some other language?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 09:56:49 pm »

Has anyone tried to compile or know of a a list of all the Canadian banknote prefixes that are some sort of Word a Name or an Acronym in English? in French? in some other language?

If there isn't we could always start one :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:36:02 pm »

I already made a such list few years ago.  There even few taboo prefix, such GOD (in the 5$ Bird serie), and BUM (in the bird 2$) which were never released, whereas GOC, GOE were printed, as well as BUL and BUN...ANd I did'n restrictes the list to the French and English words, but in other languages as well (as far I can find their meaning). I didn't care about if the word was a noun, a verb, an surname, but not the acronyms.  The dictinnary was quite useful to find if a prefix could form a noun.

For example, in the 5$, I found 12 French words, 32 English word and 7 others words not of English origin, but can be uses (example: GOA which is a state in India).   Maybe I missed some words, but it's already a good list.

Login with username, password and session length