Author
Topic: Home Bank $5 1917  (Read 7809 times)
Bob
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:08:32 pm »

A "note" answering this description is on an internet auction site.
Some of us have serious questions about it.
If you are planning to bid on it, get the vendor to send you a high res scan, then make sure it is the same note that is being offered.
If it looks too good to be true…..

Collecting Canadian since 1955
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:16:11 pm »

A "note" answering this description is on an internet auction site.
Some of us have serious questions about it.
If you are planning to bid on it, get the vendor to send you a high res scan, then make sure it is the same note that is being offered.
If it looks too good to be true…..

Bob, what may I ask are the "serious questions" about the note ?  Are we talking about authenticity, grade or some other issue ?

Feel free to email me if you don't want to discuss your concerns on the forum.

I have purchased from this seller several times in the past and have never had an issue with his integrity or his offerings.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:17:33 pm »

Also, I think its a $10 denomination not a $5 that is being offered.

I think this same note appeared back in a Jeffrey Hoare auction many moons ago (circa 1990) and only graded Good.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:27:13 am by BWJM »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
Bob
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:23:25 pm »

No, I have no concerns about the $10 being real, although the grading issue exists.  It's the $5, number 262257089274 that smells of rat.

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:55:45 pm »

No, I have no concerns about the $10 being real, although the grading issue exists.  It's the $5, number 262257089274 that smells of rat.

Bob, sorry I got the $10 Home Bank of Canada note being offered by "themonetaryman" confused with the one you were posting about.  I didn't mean to bring Troy MacDonald's auction into question.  He is a pillar of integrity on eBay.

This is what a genuine 1917 $5 Home Bank of Canada note looks like.

Oh, and the eBay $5 note's serial number it is only two digits away from the one in the image below.   

Suspicious ?  Nah, just another amazing discovery note surfacing on eBay.  ???

{http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img903/6325/cvdoOq.png:http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img903/6325/cvdoOq.th.png}

Arthur Richards
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:58:39 am »

For the $5 auction note, the front and back images appear to be of two different notes.  And that's an observation made without even taking into account that the front image appears to be a photograph and the back image appears to be a scan.  From the front, the note appears badly trimmed, and by "badly", I mean the trim job at the top and bottom is obvious.  From the back, the edges look natural and very straight where they are in view (the image is cropped a bit tight... another sign that the image is a scan).  As well, there appears to be a tear in the top centre as seen from the front but not from the back.

I would not consider bidding under the circumstances.  But because others might, Bob's advice makes sense.  Get the seller to provide more images, front and back.  There is nothing in the seller's selling history that suggests this is a simple mistake, i.e., mixing up of images from two different listings.

No hay banda  
Bob
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 11:29:37 am »

It's astounding how closely the back (which was added to the eBay listing only hours ago) resembles the back of the note in the Manifest auction.
One singular characteristic, the offset loop from a letter in the Daly signature, appears to be absent, but vestiges of it can still be found below the frame of the note.  The vendor is clearly adept at using PhotoShop - but not too adept.

http://manifestauctions.com/past/lot-59-canada-toronto-home-bank-5-march-1-1917/
(click on the image to enlarge)

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 01:40:51 pm »

Just thanking Bob and the other members looking out for the collecting community, very happy to have stumbled on this post.

KC's Canadian Currency
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 06:09:14 pm »

Well it took some convincing but eBay finally did the right thing and shut this auction down.

“Every decent con man knows that the simplest truth is more powerful than even the most elaborate lie.”

Arthur Richards

Login with username, password and session length