Author
Topic: BCS graded 1954 $1 Replacement Note  (Read 4938 times)
techwriter
« on: February 24, 2016, 07:56:55 pm »

I would like to solicit opinions about BCS grading standards.  I've been advised by two dealers here in the U.S.
that I should submit this note to a U.S. TPG  (PCGS or PMG) for a "better" grade.  Question: is BCS a very
conservative grading service for Canadian notes?  I'm fairly well pleased with the BCS grade on this note and
am NOT inclined to re-submit it.  Opinions? and Thanks.
==

==
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 10:29:21 pm »

Nice note.  Personally, I don't think it really matters where you have your note graded.  If you go with PCGS or PMG, Canadian buyers may consider their grades a tad high.   BCS is fairly spot on with their grading of Canadian bank notes.  If you are pleased with the note and grade, keep it as it is.  What is the point to pay and get another opinion?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:31:43 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 05:54:11 pm »

Let whoever buys the note from you pay the $40 (or whatever) for PMG or PCGS grading if they want this Canadian note graded by U.S. standards.  The note is not valuable enough to warrant paying extra for an inflated grade.

No hay banda  
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:49:24 pm »

I predict the number of American collectors who would buy this note (& would prefer "PMG" or other US based TP Grading) over CDN standards to be negligible and not worth your aggravation to get it slabbed A 2nd time.   I honestly don't think getting your replacement graded higher would change much in the long run.  I'm pretty certain that the number of Canadian collectors who would be interested to buy this note (and would feel more secure about purchasing a note more accurately graded by the highly reputable BCS) far outnumber the American collectors in the market for the same note (if you were to go to the bother and gain a possible 5 bases points to AU 55 by US TPG standards).  You also have the "Original" designation by BCS & that in itself speaks volumes.  Most Canadian collectors know that US TPG are more liberal than CDN TPG so the CDN market would not increase: and it's a nice note with a nice number but it is not that scarce since many high graded BC-37aA Beattie-Coyne *A/A notes do exist.   

techwriter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 09:16:21 pm »

My thanks and regards to all who replied with your honest and straight-forward opinions.  I agree with
everyone that re-grading by PMG or PCGS would gain little; and as I originally indicated I am NOT inclined
to send it for a re-grading.  I think the NOTE speaks for itself.  :)
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 10:07:21 pm »

Regardless of what grading service has handled the note, or what the holder indicates, ALWAYS buy the note, not the holder,
techwriter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 02:26:18 am »

alvin5454, that's what I ALWAYS tell anyone who asks -- buy the NOTE!  Thanks  :)

Login with username, password and session length