Author
Topic: $100 Bird Hidden and Clean BPN  (Read 3598 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:35:39 pm »

I have recently had the opportunity to study several $100 bird notes. These have included those that are listed in the GPMC as having hidden BPN and Clear BPN.

I notice that in the AJZ prefix there is a substantial difference in price between the clear and hidden variety.

How seriously are these taken by the collectors?

Interestingly enough the Bank of Canada Museum in its collection have listed these as separate varieties as well. Is this variety classification in the BoC Museum a result of such classification in the catalog or the other way around?

I was under the impression that the catalog created varieties in these situations where the design change was intended as opposed to accidental.

I would appreciate if someone can point me to the documentation that indicates that this design change was intended? The reason for my question is that I have noticed that within the hidden BPN variety the registration of the BPN varies and may not be as shown in the image in the catalog. In some instances the hidden BPN is not in the waves as indicated in the catalog but clear of the waves.

I searched the forums for hidden position number and clear position number and "ajz" but could not come up with anything that answers the question.

As a side note - there are other variants of interest related to presence or absence of waves and also presence or absence of trees in the tree line in the back vignette of the note that are rather interesting and more obvious.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length