Author
Topic: Fake 1898 Notes from China  (Read 5416 times)
Rigel1870
« on: June 15, 2017, 12:12:24 am »

Is there a way to tell the difference between the fake 1898 $1 Dominion of Canada notes coming out of China and the authentic ones?  The fake ones even have the faded signatures on the left.  I don't own a fake one, but I'm sure there has to be some difference in the type of paper.
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 12:23:59 pm »

Interesting post and info.
Do you have any links to notes, photos, etc.

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
Rigel1870
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:15:17 pm »

Yeah, they're being sold all over eBay from Chinese sellers.  I wonder what will happen once Canadian and American sellers start reselling them. 

Here is an example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMINION-OF-CANADA-FIVE-DOLLARS-not-original-judge-it-careful-/172718594682?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Hlr3uGZMgH1Rny5%252FQQkE0pIhElI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Sites like aliexpress.com regularly sell things like fake 1948 silver dollars, but I'm not sure where these dominion of Canada fakes come from. 
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 07:09:16 pm »

The eBay note looks pretty real to me based on the published image. You can certainly see three clear vertical fold lines. However, it could conceivably be a high quality photocopy that has been folded along the same fold lines as in the original note in order to make it look more authentic. On the other hand, it could be an image that has been "borrowed" from an online source, etc. The Chinese source is most certainly a red flag!

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Rigel1870
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 01:15:56 am »

Absolutely.  They would definitely make more money selling it as the real deal, so I'm convinced it's a copy, even if the picture is off.  I'm wondering if the note grading companies can spot the difference.  I noticed the fake 1858 pennies are off by a weight of 0.1 grams.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:32:14 pm »

If you check out the negative and neutral feedback received by this seller you'll see comments such as "Next time you should always tell people you are selling copy/fake notes" and "Modern ink-jet copy". It seems pretty clear to me now that the image in the seller's description is of a genuine note and that the buyer will merely receive a printed copy/facsimile of the same note.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Hounddog
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:43:03 am »

Can anyone just print these up? I thought it was illegal to print, import or reproduce any of our redeemable currency.
Should this not have been reported to eBay and removed?

Cheers, Bill

[img

Login with username, password and session length