Author
Topic: Experience / Reviews on CCCS graded notes needed  (Read 6724 times)
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« on: February 06, 2018, 10:36:27 am »

Currently looking to purchase a few CCCS graded notes and I would greatly appreciate if the community here can chime in on any positive experiences they have had from this TPG. I am familiar with many others such as BCS, PMG and PCGS!

I assume their grading standards are based on the Canadian system. Should I expect something very similar to a BCS graded notes which I am familiar with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:55:55 am by kid_kc79 »

KC's Canadian Currency
AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:43:45 pm »

I can say I've handled some CCCS graded notes which were obviously processed (washed & pressed) and had high grades in the 64 to 65 range which would have probably been EF to AU originally.  They don't usually mention defects in the notes nor do they mention on the holders if notes are original or not.

Assuming the note was NOT processed I think their grading is pretty accurate though.  They will frequently grade notes 60 which could have easily gotten 63/64 with Amerian TPGs.  Compared to BCS, I would say that CCCS is more inclined to look at the eye appeal of a note whereas BCS is very very strict on the technical grade but might completely ignore uneven margins, etc.

A lot of collectors won't touch any note in a CCCS holder at all.  I've bought some myself when they were notes that I really wanted.  I wasn't buying them for the grade on the holder though.  I would approach them with a great deal of caution.  Most CCCS notes I end up cutting out of the holders anyway since I don't think the holder adds much or any value.

Also noteworthy that a lot of CCCS notes come in very flimsy holders.  I've seen some in thicker holders as well so I'm not sure which ones they are using currently.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:31:56 pm »

Manny thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

KC's Canadian Currency
wagnert89
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 09:44:16 am »

Lious' old style holders could be considered "flimsy".  I have an old style holder that appears to "shrivled up" likely due to the air removal within the holder: this is my opnion only.  Thr new holders are larger and thicker material
wagnert89
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 09:47:07 am »

In my opinion, Lious grades inbetweeen steve and u.s. TPG. For example, steve may say choice unc 62, loius 63 and pmg/pcgs 64 or 65. I ve seen wide variation in gardes too but again thats only my experience
Canadian Banknotes
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 11:14:52 am »

Im just looking at old topics.  Ive seen varying comments on CCCS.  Ive looked at quite a few notes in their holders and so far im relatively impressed.  So far I have not seen anything as horrendous as some of the over grading from some of the TPG house's south of the border.  This doesn't mean it hasn't happened I just havent seen it yet. Buy the note not the holder.  I also like the look of their blue labels.
q60driver
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 06:41:11 am »

I have purchased 2 CCCS notes and I have not been impressed with the grading. One was given a 63 and had a visible fold along the bottom edge that could be seen through the holder. I cut it out as I did not want the holder and I believe it would get no better than a 58 with any other grading company.

The other one was graded a 60 and had a fold along the middle.

Maybe my standards are too high. Luckily I did not pay the graded price on either note but my experience could be a fluke.

Login with username, password and session length