Author
Topic: Have you ever notice -- Observe 5$ Bundle 2006  (Read 5102 times)
mike1999
« on: March 31, 2018, 02:43:28 pm »

Hi,

I have three notes (5$ 2006) with the lettering "CANADA" with different offsets at the top of the Parlement.

The first image (top): the first "A" is aligned with the flag on the left, the letter "N" is over the right flag.

The second image: the first "A" is between the center and the left flag.

The third image (bottom): the first "A" is on the center (between the flags).

Hi-res image available here: http://dinfo.ca/bundles/banknotes

I took a few bundles of 5$ 2006 that I have and I noticed the following occurence:
  about 2% of the first pattern (top)
  around 20% of the second pattern (midde)
  slightly over 70% for the third one.

To my knowledge, there is no additionnal value added for the difference.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:32:02 pm »

Hi,

I have three notes (5$ 2006) with the lettering "CANADA" with different offsets at the top of the Parlement.

The first image (top): the first "A" is aligned with the flag on the left, the letter "N" is over the right flag.

The second image: the first "A" is between the center and the left flag.

The third image (bottom): the first "A" is on the center (between the flags).

Hi-res image available here: http://dinfo.ca/bundles/banknotes

I took a few bundles of 5$ 2006 that I have and I noticed the following occurence:
  about 2% of the first pattern (top)
  around 20% of the second pattern (midde)
  slightly over 70% for the third one.

To my knowledge, there is no additionnal value added for the difference.

BTW - My experience is that the percentage where the "A" lines up with the top of the tower making it look as if it has a pointed top (lowest image) is most uncommon based on random sampling. However in a full bundle it is likely that most of the notes in that bundle will be of one type or the other. It is possible therefore that your results may represent a biased sample.

It is so strange that you mention this. I had mentioned this exact same thing in a post several years ago where we were talking about reasons for collecting.

In terms of additional value - most certainly there is no additional monetary value if you measure it by the most traditional and acceptable way.

However I would argue there is much value from a numismatic point of view. The situation you have highlighted deals with registration between intaglio and the litho printing. It deals with tolerances of registration and it deals with a different artistic interpretation of the resulting visual image.

If you see the design deliberations that the BoC has been undertaking and the kinds of things they pick up from their public consultations you will see that such things even though they are minor appear to be on the minds of BoC bank note designers.

I had written an article in the RCNA Journal on artistic reinterpretation resulting from such registration issues.

I do value notes with such conditions and if time permits I may end up writing about such variations.

Thank you for sharing

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?

Login with username, password and session length