Author
Topic: Educate re: freedoms afforded by cash!  (Read 5172 times)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« on: June 02, 2019, 05:14:45 pm »

Earlier on in CPMF we have discussed Bank Of Canada investigation into Canada becoming a "cashless society" here:
https://cdnpapermoney.com/index.php?topic=15434.msg67412#msg67412

Sweden & China are almost there.  We have also learned that the BOC is exploring cryptocurrency. 

I would like anyone who is interested in this topic to view "How cash is becoming a thing of the past" on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbECT1J9bXg

In the above video, one learns that the "Better than Cash Alliance" (backed by Visa, Mastercard, H&M, GAP, Bill & Melinda Gates) advocate that no one should be allowed to use cash.  In Kenneth Rugoth & the Alliance view, anybody (or business) who uses cash do so ONLY to conduct criminal activities (or to evade paying taxes).  Visa was paying US restaurants $10,000 to stop accepting cash as a form of payment.  Paypal, Google, Visa, Amazon make $20,000,000/year from people using their services (through fees).  Banks are constantly complaining about the cost to handle cash even though cashless payments also cost them money.  So much of the above propaganda is rubbish (people who use cash like to limit/control their spending, budget for future expenses, and are not criminals evading taxes).

As Brett Scott correctly points out there is no advocate/interest group who lobby for the continuing use of cash.  He makes a super analogy with transportation.  He asks his friends (who prefer cashless transactions) would you do away with the bicycle just because cars are so much faster and easier to use?

We know online banking, cryptocurrencies and the like, are only effective IF the system is up and running, safe and secure, and has no government interference.  We also know (from reports coming out of China & above documentaries) that governments/organizations that run digital currencies - that there is a great deal of data being mined from these transactions. China knows everything about how its citizens spend their money. 

So if you appreciate your current freedom to use cash get the word out and advocate for its future existence.

AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 07:05:01 pm »

There will always be people who value their privacy enough to avoid using credit cards, banks and such at all costs.  Currently the simplest and lowest-cost alternative to the banking system is using cash.  If cash is banned/demonetized/removed from circulation this will just result in these same individuals finding other forms of money whether it be USD, gold coins, cryptos, sea shells or whatever.

It will not do anything stop these "criminals" (ie: people with enough self-dignity to demand privacy in their lives) from conducting their business.  What it will do is just reduce the control that the government has over the de facto currency used within its borders.  This is the only reason that we still have cash right now.  They know people will use cash in one form or another so they would just assume be the ones issuing it.

Politicians and their cronies have to walk a fine line.  They would like to control every aspect of our lives in it's totality but if they push too hard too quickly people will notice and subvert their efforts.  If they can get 99% of people to play right into their hand voluntarily they will tolerate the 1% of non-conformists at least for now.

As for the lack of interest groups lobbying for the continuing use of cash, it's just a matter of rational self-interest.  Who is going to spend millions lobbying politicians?  Only those who stand to gain an even greater amount.  Those who benefit from using cash are greatly dispersed individuals who can't rationalize spending their time and money on advocacy.  Sure you can urge your friends and family members to use cash but you're not going to do much more than that.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 04:14:33 pm »

If cash is banned/demonetized/removed from circulation this will just result in these same individuals finding other forms of money whether it be USD, gold coins, cryptos, sea shells or whatever.

If? I'm not so sure as the $1, $2, $25, $1000 were just demonetized, weren't they? There seems to be a global ban on high denominations (500 E just removed). I don't have any stats to back me up but I do believe cash is being removed from circulation since the Frontiers series was introduced (notes lasting longer/less being printed). Just try to take large amounts of $100 notes out of the bank these days. Banks often seem to be cash short. Sure people will resort to other forms of currency and maybe even barter -but I really rather not assume that politicians will do the right thing by printing cash. Sorry but my trust in politicians doing the right thing is at an all-time low right now.

Politicians and their cronies have to walk a fine line.  They would like to control every aspect of our lives in it's totality but if they push too hard too quickly people will notice and subvert their efforts.  If they can get 99% of people to play right into their hand voluntarily they will tolerate the 1% of non-conformists at least for now.

I agree that governments want to control its citizens but I really doubt people are taking notice (hence this post).  Maybe Canadian politicians are walking "a fine line" but didn't the Greek government just wipe out 25% of their citizens' savings accounts? FDR made it illegal to own gold in the USA! Anything can be done to a person's bank account if you read the fine print (only 3.5% of our savings is insured).  I honestly don't know anyone who's read the fine print on their Visa, Paypal (or other credit cards) user agreements. I do agree that cash is contingent on the government's perception that fiat currency is relevant/necessary (hence my post).

Sweden's banks have made it very difficult for its citizens to commerce with cash unless buyers/sellers want to incur extra expenses (according to the Youtube documentary/& I've heard this 6 years ago when I visited Europe & a friend just got back from there).  This past year (after evidence of Russian spying) they handed out an "What to do in the case of war or disaster" booklet out to each citizen.  I thought it was quite ironic considering most Swedes rely entirely on Swish/credit/digital currency (rather than cash).  So as long as Russia hasn't hacked into their system (& their Swish lines are still up & running) their ability to commerce will be just fine during/post-emergency/crises. So much for trusting the government but I find it amusing that the Swedes are re-examining their drive towards a cashless society (after evidence of Russian snooping).

Those who benefit from using cash are greatly dispersed individuals who can't rationalize spending their time and money on advocacy.  Sure you can urge your friends and family members to use cash but you're not going to do much more than that.

You raise some great points (& I actually debated whether I should even bother posting this plea) but I still believe people should be aware of what's going on. It's not just here in Canada but an unnerving global phenomenon. I first heard about going cashless ten years ago and thought it a pipe dream (or paranoia).  Now I can see it's an actual movement prompted by billionaires who have a lot to profit by it.  Unfortunately, most of these billionaires have the ear of most major governments.

I know I encourage people to use cash (& the few who do aren't knee-deep in debt).   What I worry about is the younger generation who look at me as if I've lost my marbles (any time I tout the merits of employing cash for commerce).

Login with username, password and session length