Author
Topic: Your Opinion  (Read 8257 times)
TheBurnz
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:16:22 am »

Hello All,

This is my recent purchase. I know this is in bad condition but it is a french $100 note from 1935.

I know the G grade BV is $1000, do you think this would be the grade or because of the damage is it only worth face value?

Would you send it for grading or will it be rejected and not graded?

Everyones opinion is welcomed here.

Bob
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 11:34:20 am »

Try unfolding the turned over bits - it will help a little.  Start with the bottom corners, which should be easy.  If unfolding causes little pieces to fall away, quit.  I see no reason, personally, to have the note graded - its condition is plainly obvious.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
wagnert89
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:37:11 pm »

It's a rare note regardless of condition.  It's worth one thousand I would think.
AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 04:32:16 pm »

I hope you got a really good deal on that one!  I personally wouldn't consider buying such a damaged note unless it was the only known example and even then I would be very reluctant.  I think 1935 notes are highly overrated and are certainly not rare (even the French).  There are plenty of truly rare notes that can be obtained in the same price range that will be in much nicer condition and more interesting to show.  Obviously if you got it for close to face value you can't go wrong but I can't see paying anywhere close to $1000 for such a note.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
TheBurnz
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:33:25 am »

Hey guys,

Thank you for your evaluation on my recent purchase, I have gotten some good feedback and it seems the condition is the big factor. It seems some think the note is in G, BV of $1000. Al-Bob has said it's worth much less, closer to FV.

I paid $254 Canadian, shipping, premium and tax included. I think I did ok on my investment. I don't think this note will fall lower then what I paid in the future as long as I maintain the condition.

Thank you all for your knowledge.
AL-Bob
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 10:43:02 am »

Al-Bob has said it's worth much less, closer to FV.

I did not mean to say that it is worth much less than $1000, just that I personally couldn't see paying close to that amount.  I wasn't suggesting that I knew objectively that no one would pay that price.  However I also wouldn't call the condition "Good" either.  Fair would be more realistic in my opinion.

I paid $254 Canadian, shipping, premium and tax included. I think I did ok on my investment. I don't think this note will fall lower then what I paid in the future as long as I maintain the condition.

I think that was just fine to pay for a filler.  Don't expect the value to go up much over time though.  I would certainly try to upgrade it when you get the chance.

Shameless advertisement:
I do have a 40 EPQ and also a 55 EPQ (which happens to be the Charlton Plate Note).  These notes will be offered in partnership with TCNC in their upcoming fixed price catalogue if you are interested!

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
wagnert89
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 06:34:44 am »

You received a good deal at that price. Yes, it's a rag and not manypeople would pay alot but still a decent deal.  Whoever held onto that lost alot of money. $ 100 investment in some stock or interest payment then would be worth a small fortune today. What site are you finding these deals.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:12:01 pm by wagnert89 »
JB-2007
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 08:39:42 pm »

Hey guys,

Thank you for your evaluation on my recent purchase, I have gotten some good feedback and it seems the condition is the big factor. It seems some think the note is in G, BV of $1000. Al-Bob has said it's worth much less, closer to FV.

Thank you all for your knowledge.
You have the french version of this note which books now at $1,500 in G. Its in poor condition but still a very hard to find note that very few collectors have. At $254 in my opinion is an amazing deal that i would have not passed on. Even in the condition the note is in i think its still worth in the 1,000-1,200 range. The good news with all the 1935 series is they continue to gain value each year in almost all grades.
TheBurnz
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 08:23:54 am »

@wagnert89  I search mostly online daily and sporadically. Only on Monday, I can spend 8 to 10hrs bookmarking item from, ebay, local online auctions, Auctionnetwork.ca and icollector ect... So no one place really.

I always wanted to hit garage sales and estate sales, but I am reluctant. I guess those can be very time consuming and un-fruitful.

The next auction that has my eye coming up in September, the Colonial Acres online auction. Some nice item there, but if memory serves me right they are tuff to get deals on. Rest assure I will try tho...

Happy hunting.

Login with username, password and session length