Author
Topic: Upcoming Changes  (Read 3107 times)
admin
  • Administrator
« on: April 02, 2020, 10:22:21 am »

I apologize if it seems that I have been absent for the past few months.  I've been working on a lot of stuff behind the scenes and haven't forgotten about the suggestions that were given with regards to the SNDB.  I have been working on a major update of "The Notes" with the eventual goal of merging the SNDB code into "The Notes" section.  Updating the SNDB code has been a lower priority for this reason since it will go through a very thorough review in the near future.

Does anyone have any objection to making 100% of the data public?  Usernames on the SNDB have been hidden for some reason that I'm not fully aware of.  I'm assuming that if you had anything to hide you would either use a pseudonym or not enter the notes in the first place.  I think it will make things more friendly and simpler to manage if all notes entered are public along with usernames and city, prov as they were entered.  It might also help to know who entered the data to be able to judge how reliable the data is or to be able to communicate with the user directly if you suspect an error.

Please give your input and let me know if this is a bad idea.
EDI
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 11:09:35 am »

Hello Admin, not a bad idea.Moreover, why someone would like to "hide"?
Northwest5
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 12:41:31 pm »

No objections at all, in fact a good idea.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 08:53:18 pm »

It might also help to know who entered the data to be able to judge how reliable the data is or to be able to communicate with the user directly if you suspect an error.
- It used to be this way (& also we could see where one & others stood in terms of most # of notes entered in "Statistics." Now we can only see our stats there. I have no idea why/when everything became so "incognito."
Does anyone have any objection to making 100% of the data public?
100% of the data? Like knowing SN ranges (& numbers entered for rarer prefixes?) I think that is what most here would love to see.  Last year, when we were all giving feedback, I suggested a graduated level of access only because I thought it might encourage participation.  I still add some notes now and again and am pretty surprised to see how few are entering notes these days.

robb4640
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 01:59:55 pm »

I very much support opening it up.  You could likely add something in a persons profile where they could check off a box if they want there profile hidden but open it all up and state if you want it hidden you have to go in to your profile to do that.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 11:03:00 pm »

The level of disclosure that was there before worked well.

Beyond that I would add the locations where the notes entered were found

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
robb4640
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 08:30:34 pm »

:) This has been opened up as we asked for.  Check it out, now you can see the nicknames on the high/low and the user rankings. 

Login with username, password and session length