Author
Topic: TD ATM replaced $10 bills with $100 bills  (Read 16244 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 10, 2020, 08:40:52 pm »

Several TD ATMs in the GTA area seem to be now dispensing $100 instead of $10. So the standard fare is:

$5
$20
$50
$100

previously it used to be:

$5
$10
$20
$50

I am not sure if it is temporary or permanent.

Anyone else have similar experience?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 10:17:15 am »

My father actually told me last week that when he went to a TD ATM, it gave him the option to take 100$ notes which he had never seen before.  He didn't mention anything about the 10$ notes not being an option so I'll have to ask him about that since I assumed they had simply added 100$ notes as an option.  I'm in the Montreal area so this looks like it could be a country wide change.

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 10:45:17 am »

The new RBC bank machines give you the option to withdraw any note from $5 to $100
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 04:09:32 pm »

The $10 note is the new 50¢ coin.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 08:30:27 pm »

The new RBC bank machines give you the option to withdraw any note from $5 to $100

There are TD machines those with big screens that do allow all the denominations. However these are not very common and I have mostly seen them in downtown locations.

I have not seen the RBC bank machines with possibility of all the denominations yet. Are they common in your area?

moneycow
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 11:17:17 am »

Initially I mis-interpreted your thread title,
TD ATM replaced $10 bills with $100 bills

I got excited and it reminded of a "bank error in my favour" situation I experienced many years ago at an RBC atm where a $100 note must have gotten mixed into the stack of 20s being dispensed.  :o

Craig
AJG
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 07:42:39 pm »

The $10 note is the new 50¢ coin.
Sadly, you're right.

For the TD ATMs to stop dispensing $10 bills in favor of $100 bills, implies that demand for $10 bills is extremely low.  Low enough that, sadly, the $10 bill may reach its demise if enough banks discontinue ordering them.  And it does make sense as to why there have been no new Polymer $10 bills with varnish coating to date.

I think this change is most likely permanent.

I also suspect the replacing of MacDonald's face with Desmond's was likely an opportunity to save the $10 bill from retirement.  Sadly, that attempt failed, for there were fewer than 20 million of the initial supply of Desmond $10 bills printed.  It could be possible that demand is so low now, it's likely on the way out.  Give it three to five years, they'll likely be gone.

It makes a whole lot of sense as to why I have not seen any new $10 bill prefixes in Newfoundland for over five years now.

If we lose the $10 bill, it will be the same way we lost the $500 bill in 1938.  Consumer demand being low enough, it doesn't justify keeping the denomination in circulation any longer.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 07:47:30 pm by AJG »
AZ
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 08:42:55 pm »

I think this change is most likely permanent. Sadly, that attempt failed, for there were fewer than 20 million of the initial supply of Desmond $10 bills printed.  It could be possible that demand is so low now, it's likely on the way out.  Give it three to five years, they'll likely be gone.
Oh, come on, just stop that nonsense already... Yes, the $10 bill is the least used denomination and it has been for a while, but it does not mean it is going away. It makes no sense whatsoever to eliminate it and have $5 followed by $20.

And by the way, at least 70 million Viola Desmond tens were printed and released into circulation.
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 06:53:54 pm »

Up until a couple weeks ago it seems that most TD ATMs in Toronto still had 10s. Now they've all switched to 5/20/50/100.

There are still TD machines (the big ones that dispense/accept up to 200 notes) that have 10s. For now at least.

RBC has also started configuring its ATMs with 5-100 denominations. 10s were in them originally, not anymore with the few I've checked!
robb4640
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 07:50:54 pm »

Most of the RBC ATMS's in Brantford dispense 5-100, i think only a couple of them skip the $10

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 02:35:08 pm »

I inquired with TD about the change from dispensing - 5, 10, 20 and 50 to 5, 20, 50 and 100.

I was told that the demand for $10 denomination relative to the other denominations was signficantly low. Rather then change their machines to increase the denomination dispensed from 4 to 5 they decided to change the combination of the denomination dispensed.

Lately I have not been able to visit any of the larger TD machines but I would imagine that they would still continue to dispense all 5 denominations.

I have not seen ATMs from any other bank branches (other than TD) dispensing more than 3 denominations. It is good to see that there are locations where RBC ATMs are still dispensing all 5 denominations. If anything changes please share.

Thx

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 12:51:56 pm »

my local RBC branch ATM machines do give out $5,$20,$50,$100 no $10
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 11:17:19 pm »

my local RBC branch ATM machines do give out $5,$20,$50,$100 no $10

Hi docstrange,

Thx. Did they every give out all the 5 denominations and then changed or were they always giving out 4 denominations as far as you know

Thx

AJG
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 06:20:34 am »

There are still TD machines (the big ones that dispense/accept up to 200 notes) that have 10s. For now at least.

It seems as if, usually, when at least one ATM discontinues dispensing a certain denomination, eventually all ATMs will be involved.  When RBC discontinued dispensing $5 bills starting in 1999, smaller branches were likely the first ones to be affected.  More and more ATMs dropped $5 bills, and ATMs at the big (or main) branches were the last to discontinue $5 bills around 2002 - however ATMs at colleges and universities were still dispensing $5s for at least a few more years, but I heard rumor that they may have been replaced with $10 bills by 2006 supposedly due to inflation - at least the university in my hometown.

I have a feeling that if some TD and RBC branches discontinued dispensing $10s from their ATMs, it's likely possible more will be coming.  If the main/big branches are still dispensing $10 bills, it won't be long before they cease being dispensed.  Usually the big/main branches' ATMs are the last ones to be modified.

The $10 bill phaseout has only started recently, and I bet such phaseout from TD and RBC ATMs will be much quicker than when RBC ATMs phased out $5 bills (the latter phaseout took about three years).

The newer Scotiabank ATMs that dispense multiple denominations were already ahead of the game - they never dispensed $10 bills from the get-go.  The newer ATMs, that is.  Scotiabank knew well ahead that demand for $10 bills was quite low - so it's quite surprising that RBC and TD were late to the party.

I also wouldn't be shocked if those banks that stopped dispensing $10s from their ATMs, the branches probably discontinued ordering $10 bills for over-the-counter transactions.  If any such branches discontinued ordering $10 bills for over-the-counter transactions, please share.

I also agree that the phaseout of $10s from the newer TD and RBC ATMs is likely a nationwide change.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:37:33 am by AJG »
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 04:38:16 pm »

I thought they gave out all the notes but I could be wrong and at my age you forget stuff at times 

Login with username, password and session length