Author
Topic: Money Envelopes - Need some input  (Read 3922 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: November 10, 2020, 08:55:57 pm »

I am studying money envelopes. Those envelopes that the tellers give you when you get cash from them. I am reaching out to forum members to share images (both sides) of the envelopes that they might have. I would really like to see ones that are more than 10 years old.

My focus is mostly on banks but I am open to others with a similar purpose. I am also open to the same concept from banks outside of Canada.

If you know of any written articles on this subject I would also appreciate if you can share that.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:05:25 pm »

Here is an image from one of the Royal Bank Money Envelope. Can someone provide some insight as to how this was ever used. Did you use this form at the back of the envelope? Do you know of anyone who used it? How was it used? What did the tellers do with it?

It was around until about 2015 or so before the RBC stopped printing it in the back of the envelopes.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 11:57:36 pm »

The form on the envelope is for accounting purposes.  This is a pay packet envelope and its use dates back to a time when employees were paid their weekly or daily wages in cash.  The payroll department of the company would fill in the necessary fields which would inform the employee of various deductions from his or her pay.

This information was kept in duplicate in the company's ledger book and it was kept current by a bookkeeper.

With the rise of electronic deposits for wage payment, I am surprised that this anachronistic piece of financial history survived into the 21st century.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 08:39:04 pm »

The form on the envelope is for accounting purposes.  This is a pay packet envelope and its use dates back to a time when employees were paid their weekly or daily wages in cash.  The payroll department of the company would fill in the necessary fields which would inform the employee of various deductions from his or her pay.

This information was kept in duplicate in the company's ledger book and it was kept current by a bookkeeper.

With the rise of electronic deposits for wage payment, I am surprised that this anachronistic piece of financial history survived into the 21st century.

Interesting - thank you for sharing it.

Has anyone actually used it themselves?

Under deductions it mentions "medicare" - I do not recall this kind of a deduction in the last at least 25 or so years?

slackjack
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 09:58:21 pm »

Hi, i got this one in french Royal Bank,
2017 can see the date at bottom,
im about sure i got some older that i put
stamps in it, if i find it i will get back,
i dont know when i will have time to search,
hope to help you in your search.
Mario

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 07:10:19 pm »

Hi, i got this one in french Royal Bank,
2017 can see the date at bottom,
im about sure i got some older that i put
stamps in it, if i find it i will get back,
i dont know when i will have time to search,
hope to help you in your search.
Mario

Mario - Thank you so much. This is great. I have been missing the French ones. Part of my interest involves how French and English are treated in the Canadian Paper Money matters and it is interesting how different banks are dealing with it in their envelope design.

Very much appreciated. When you have time and you are able to share others it would be very much appreciated.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 10:33:04 pm »

Hello forum members - Need some help with CIBC money envelopes.

Here is the one that is similar to the one that is currently given out by CIBC branches in GTA. As you notice it has reference to the Pearson Airport.

I am wondering what kind does CIBC use in other parts of Canada. If you can share a photo that will be highly appreciated.

Login with username, password and session length