Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 97072 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #465 on: November 25, 2023, 01:11:59 pm »

November 24th finds:

Yesterday, one of my banks emailed me to say that they had “a lot of older Canadian $20s”.
Off I went to the branch and while I was able to look through $2000 of paper $20s, most of them were circulated and soiled Journey notes and a few birds $20s.

I pulled out the nicest notes and some circulated notes with a story.  Check my other thread for details on these notes.

I asked the teller for US $2s and she obliged with three.

I also asked for pennies and the teller said “we have 9 boxes worth of pennies, but some are in bags”.  I took two bags (because they are so heavy!) and I’ll probably return to buy the rest of the pennies next week.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 09:25:56 pm by Dean »

whitenite
« Reply #466 on: November 27, 2023, 07:25:30 pm »

I am always impressed with Dean's finds but I got a call last Thursday from my local Royal Bank branch in the Ottawa Valley where I picked up 3 bundles of $1 for a total 297 banknotes and 2 bundles of $2 for a total of 200 banknotes.  At least now, I can compare myself to the Big City Hunters.

This deposit appears to be an estate dispersion where many of the banknotes are in the range of AU -50 to UNC 60.  It appears that the person who owned these notes knew about banknotes.  There are a number of gems including a small B $1 of BCP which is not to far off from the BCP $1 reported by Cbeaulieu BCP 7634507 under the thread of Big B $2 - subthread of $2 large B.  I found another small BCP in AU 58 - UNC 60 condition with the serial number of BCP 7469915 and a large BCP with the serial number of 7228665.  We need to keep our eyes open as there could be more.,  We can certainly establish a range for the small BCP's.  I also found 3 big B $2 Birds including a small B/big B banknote.  This was the first mismatch I have found through my hunting in the Ottawa Valley.

I also should mention that there were 58 1954/1967 $1 including the a couple of changeover prefixes as well as a B/I and D/I but no E/I.  There were 8 1954 $2 banknotes including a V/B with a Beatty/Coyne signature.  More interestingly, about 10 AU/UNC 1974 $2 ARE banknotes as well as UNC $2 BB banknote.  The same applies to the 1973 $1 banknotes as there were a number of good conditions ECV and BFK.

I still need time to sort the banknotes out and there will be future posts from these bundles.

Enjoy Whitenite

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #467 on: November 27, 2023, 08:17:02 pm »

@Whitenite:

The BCP find is remarkable!  You definitely found something special there, and to also find a birds $2 with mismatched Bs is amazing! 

Congratulations on the haul!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #468 on: November 27, 2023, 09:22:55 pm »

November 27th finds:

Today, I returned to the bank and retrieved the rest of the pennies that the teller had in the safe.

She was quite happy to release these coins to me so I could “take them off her hands”.

A quick glance at the variety of wrappers indicates that this is an accumulation dump.  With the unavailability of one cent wrapping rolls, people are being creative, cramming pennies into dime rolls, nickel rolls and using plain paper to dispose of these coins.  There was one remaining bag of $25 worth of pennies as well.

There are some older style wrappers from CIBC and Canada Trust plus some old school plastic “penny pinchers” from RBC!

One of the vintage rolls was broken so I took a look at those coins first and they are all 1970s copper pennies!
Many of the rolls are marked “checked” in messy cursive writing, so someone must have searched and pulled the older varieties.  On the bright side, they left behind all of the copper!

Another interesting observation:  on the vintage CIBC rolls it says “50c coppers”.  I have heard pennies referred to as “coppers” but to me, it is more of an American expression, though I could be wrong.

My finds today pale in comparison to Whitenite’s banknote score, but I’ll take anything I can get!🤣

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 09:25:01 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2023, 11:07:03 pm »

December 1st finds:

I stopped by one of my banks today and the teller had two birds $2s and a 1954 $10 for me.

The $10 has something stamped on it…More on this note in my other thread.

Not a bad way to start the month!

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #470 on: December 03, 2023, 04:01:13 pm »

December 2nd & 3rd finds:

Yesterday, I stopped by one of my banks asking for old notes or coins.  All that the teller could offer me was $1 in pennies which I gladly took.

Today, I met up with one of my contacts and bought 28 US $2s.  There’s one red seal note in there and a few nicer 1976 series notes.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #471 on: December 03, 2023, 04:24:43 pm »

December 3rd pickups:

I went to the Mississauga Coin Show today and came away with a stack of notes from several amazing dealers.

I found some diamonds in the rough…Check my other thread for details on these notes!

For Claude:

I found a bunch of BG— series $2s today. 👍

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #472 on: December 06, 2023, 04:53:48 pm »

December 6th finds:  Main Branch madness!

I went to the main branch today and I sorted through the mutilated pile.  I came away with a few notes including four consecutive birds $100s.

I’ve noticed a lot of crisp sequential journey $100s at the banks lately, but not many birds $100s.  A few months ago, I was finding large quantities of uncirculated birds $100s but they seem to have disappeared…for now.
It’s also been a long time since I have seen any multicolour notes in the mutilated piles (except for $1s and $100s.)

The highlight of this haul is not the four consecutive $100s but a single ELT prefix journey $20…A short run!

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #473 on: December 09, 2023, 09:59:55 am »

December 8th finds:

Yesterday, I was at the grocery store and on the way out, I noticed some coins in the reject slot of the Coin Star machine.  To my surprise, there was $1.30 sitting there; a loonie and three dimes, two of which were silver dated 1952 and 1959!

When I got home, there was an envelope waiting for me that had this $5 sent to me by docstrange.  It’s marked by whereswilly and when I entered the serial number, I found that in 20 years, this note has travelled from Hamilton Ontario in 2003 to Toronto, with the last entry dated 2021 in Toronto.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 10:11:24 am by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #474 on: December 12, 2023, 09:44:27 pm »

December 12th finds:

Two banks, two scores!
Christmas came early for me this year!

I went to one of my banks after work today.  The friendly teller greeted me and said “I was just about to call you because I got some old paper money yesterday”.

She pulls out the mutilated note envelope and I was pleasantly surprised to see several nice journey $20s, including a last prefix short run BID prefix note, a few nicer 1979 $20s and best of all, a whole bunch of crisp birds $5s and $10s plus some very nice multicolour $5s and $10s.

I remarked just the other day that I haven’t encountered multicolour notes in the mutilated piles lately and, well, here they are!

I asked the teller about who brought them in and she said that “an older guy brought them in and said that he was saving them for his grandkids but they didn’t want the notes so he deposited them”. 

Kids today and their debit cards and cellphone tap and pay apps…they have no appreciation for physical cash.  Oh well, their loss, my gain!😀

On the way back from this score, I stopped at another bank that paid out in the past.  Last time I was at this particular branch, I had to work really hard to convince the teller to yield one birds $5.  This time was no different; I still had to convince the teller to sell me some $1s and $2s.

These bills are rough, but what’s interesting is that they have all had their corners trimmed and rounded off.
Who would do such a thing and why?  I suspect that they were trimmed to fit inside a particular shape of wallet judging by the dye transfer and flattening of the paper on these notes.

Without a doubt, the highlights are the nice crispy multicolour and birds $5s and $10s…some are even sequential!

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #475 on: December 16, 2023, 12:33:52 pm »

December 15th finds:

Journey $10s anyone?

Yesterday, one of my banks allowed me to search the mutilated pile.

I pulled out a bunch of nice journey $10s, many of which were Uncirculated.  There was one 1954 $100 in the pile, and I never turn these notes down!

The teller also gave me some penny rolls.  Some of these rolls are marked USA…I wonder what’s inside?

Enjoy!
Dean

Mike67
« Reply #476 on: December 16, 2023, 06:24:08 pm »

Always great finds Dean, thanks for sharing !

U.S.A. penny rolls, I like searching for wheat cents, you never know what your gonna get ranging from 1909 to 1958 and which mint mark. Enjoy !
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 06:08:34 pm by Mike67 »

Mike67
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #477 on: December 19, 2023, 08:38:07 pm »

December 19th finds:  Main Branch Madness!

Today, I stopped by the main branch.  The teller was nice enough to let me search the mutilated pile of about $10k in notes.
Interestingly, there were very few paper notes at all, let alone many worth keeping.  The teller offered me three rolls of pennies which I gladly accepted.

Of the few paper notes available, I chose only two; a journey $10 and $100. 

I also took out some regular cash and in my withdrawal, I got the catch of the day…a polymer $5 replacement note!

Enjoy!
Dean

Edit:  I quickly searched the three penny rolls.  In them, I found:

47 US cents
A 2012 last year Canadian cent
A 1967 dove cent
A handful of pre 1982 Canadian copper cents
A British penny from 2006
A couple of lustrous Canadian copper pennies; one from 1966 and one from 1979.
And interestingly,  1975 Canadian penny with a giant “X” through the effigy of the Queen.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:57:31 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2023, 12:52:46 am »

December 21st finds:

I stopped by one of my banks today because the teller emailed me to say that they had some “old $50s and $100s”.  I was able to search the mutilated pile and while there were lots of notes, most of them were common journey $50s and $100s of no significance.

There were a few birds notes in the pile too.  I ended up taking a few of the best $5s, a $10 and an AJX replacement with the hidden BPN.  Unfortunately, the AJX note has a tear at the top, but otherwise, it is in decent shape.  ☹️

I ended up taking a few journey $50s and a couple of journey $100s too.  See my other post for details on the journey $50s.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2023, 06:12:13 pm »

December 23rd:  Rainy day coin hunt.

I decided to search through $100 worth of dimes that I had picked up from my banks a few days ago.

In the rolls, I found:

9 US dimes
Two 2017 commemoratives
One colour 2021 dime (there were numerous non colour 2021 dimes in the rolls)
38 pre-2000 nickel alloy dimes, the oldest of which were 1968
And, the highlight of the lot: one 1968 50% silver dime.

The interesting thing is that the silver dime came out of a machine wrapped roll and 7 of 9 US dimes came out of customer wrapped rolls.

Enjoy!
Dean

Login with username, password and session length