Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 59378 times)
whitenite
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2020, 08:38:15 pm »

Good Day,

Do you still have the 3 $1000 bills of the Bird's series in your possession?  I would like to buy them if they are up for sale?

Best regards, Whitenite
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2020, 10:43:27 pm »

Good Day,

Do you still have the 3 $1000 bills of the Bird's series in your possession?  I would like to buy them if they are up for sale?

Best regards, Whitenite

Please send me a PM...

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2020, 06:42:28 pm »

Dec 14 finds...part 1

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2020, 06:59:42 pm »

Dec 14 mother lode part 2

laurie
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2020, 08:16:57 pm »

The BEF 10 is a nice find. Not far off of the changeover!

Laurie
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2020, 08:44:50 pm »

Dec 14 mother lode part 2

In this lot were also 24 2002 AOF prefix Journey $5 notes in UNC, 2 UNC Birds $20 EWP prefix notes as well as a 1954 Devil's face $20.  :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:56:12 pm by Dean »

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2020, 09:13:26 pm »

In this lot were also 24 AOF prefix Journey $5 notes in UNC, 2 UNC Birds $20 EWP prefix notes as well as a 1954 Devil's face $20.  :)

Vow you are really getting some great stuff. Congrats.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
AL-Bob
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2020, 10:06:13 pm »

Why are all these notes are being brought in right now?

I saw an older gentleman at the bank bring in a bunch of mc/birds notes the other day lamenting how it made him sad to trade them in.  I don't watch the news anymore.  Gets my blood pressure running too high.  Are they running  scare stories to get people to turn in old notes or something???

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 08:57:42 am »

Why are all these notes are being brought in right now?

I saw an older gentleman at the bank bring in a bunch of mc/birds notes the other day lamenting how it made him sad to trade them in.  I don't watch the news anymore.  Gets my blood pressure running too high.  Are they running  scare stories to get people to turn in old notes or something???

The message is that the notes will "lose legal tender status" but people are interpreting this as "becoming worthless".  Even the bank tellers say this to me when I ask them for old notes and I have to educate them! ???
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:09:17 pm by Dean »

AL-Bob
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 12:25:44 pm »

Thank you for the clarification.  I never really understood what legal tender status implied as there are plenty of businesses who have refused to take old notes or certain denominations for a long time.  I don't see how this changes anything at all.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 01:17:27 pm »

Thank you for the clarification.  I never really understood what legal tender status implied as there are plenty of businesses who have refused to take old notes or certain denominations for a long time.  I don't see how this changes anything at all.

If I recall correctly, legal tender means that the Government approves the use of a certain medium of payment (coins or bills).

I read somewhere...I can't remember where, that the reason that rolls of coins are in set amounts (50 pennies to a roll for example) is because a merchant can refuse payment under the legal tender rules if someone tries to pay for a purchase with buckets of pennies.

Legal tender status can be removed, i.e. paper money and coins can be "demonetized" but in every case, the obsolete currency can be redeemed either at financial institutions or at the central bank of that country.  The obsolete notes never become "worthless" as so many people continue to believe, but they are no longer accepted in everyday transactions.

The Bank of England regularly demonetizes its old banknote series but clearly states that all Bank of England notes remain redeemable at full face value at the offices of the Bank of England in perpetuity.

The whole legal tender debate is moot if a merchant and the customer agree to exchange obsolete coins and banknotes; heck, if someone walked into my store and offered to pay for his purchase with a crisp uncirculated bundle of $1 notes, I wouldn't turn him away!   ;D

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2020, 07:01:03 pm »

Dec 15th finds plus...a bonus error note!
From the same bank as the mother lode.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:50:09 pm by Dean »

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2020, 07:45:37 pm »

Looks like you got a bit of everything today; notes from most series, 1000$ note, special serial number, tough prefixes, Devil's Face and an error note!

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 12:48:57 pm »

Dec 15th finds plus...a bonus error note!
From the same bank as the mother lode.

Great find. In terms of the error note I agree that it should be error because it is cut out of register. However I thought for it to be of any value and recognized as an error there must be part of another note showing.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2020, 08:35:20 pm »

December 18th finds:

Nothing special today, but there was one birds 100 dollar note in decent shape.

Login with username, password and session length