Author
Topic: 1935 French $25 question  (Read 3485 times)
alanmr
« on: January 23, 2021, 08:24:16 pm »

I have seen the earlier post that shows the 000008 original and minor restoration and still the D plate

I'm just doing research to learn the value of this note, I would like to get one one day (french).

This is from the heritage auction site, both bills have the same serial one a plate D one a Plate B and obvious different condition.

Has it been restored more and major changes done to it.
Newer sold for $22k
Older $3k

Am I missing something here

« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 08:42:19 pm by alanmr »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 04:09:11 am »

The 1935 notes were printed "12/on" which means that a single sheet contained 12 notes, presumably either 2x6 or 3x4.  Either way, they were numbered in groups of four, each four having the same sheet number but differentiated by check letters A, B, C or D.  So a single sheet would have three distinct sheet numbers, each having four check letters, for a total of 12 unique serial numbers.  Note that the serial number is composed of both the sheet number and the check letter (and in the case of older issues, the series letter too).

Lower denominations were printed "24/on", and all denominations had their last few sheets needed to complete an order printed "4/on".

More details about this can be found in the Details of the Printing paragraph at the beginning of the 1935 series in your Charlton Government Paper Money catalogue.

Going back to your two example notes, since they have distinct check letters, they are different notes and thus there appears to be no funny business afoot in that regard.  I've not looked at the full-size images of either note so I make no comments whatsoever about the conditions of either note.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
AL-Bob
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 08:51:50 am »

Definitely not the same note!  That would be quite the restoration.  I own the note on the left, and can say it appears to be totally original to my eyes.  It just has some minor handling which caused it to receive the 58 PPQ grade.  I've seen notes graded 65 with worse.  You're welcome to make an offer if it's a note that interests you.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com

Login with username, password and session length