Author
Topic: Registries for more recent issues in "The Notes".  (Read 3573 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: January 25, 2021, 08:03:05 pm »

Hello Admin:

I realize that running this site is a gargantuan undertaking and a thankless task, but when will "The Notes" page be updated with links to registries for the Birds of Canada, Canadian Journey and Frontiers series of notes?

Thanks,
Dean

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 10:24:51 pm »

Hello Dean,

That's still a work in progress.  Since the SNDB covers those series, I didn't want them to be duplicated which would make it more difficult to merge later on.  I'm currently working on merging "The Notes", the SNDB and the Forum into one common database which will then allow for notes to be added for those series.  I will add any missing registries at that time.

I had the idea to enable discussions on specific series, varieties or notes directly within the notes section which was one of the motivations for  integrating the Forum database as well.  Unfortunately, the structure of the forum database and code is completely outdated and very different from the SNDB and Notes section.

This has turned what should have been a simple task into a great undertaking of rethinking, rewriting and modernizing 10s of 1,000s of lines of SMF code, much of which is incompatible with modern php standards.  It is coming along well (after 18 months of work) and we should have a functional version working within a few more months.

I think it's been worth the effort even though the first release won't come with too many visible changes.  This complete rewrite will allow me to start implementing many of the ideas that I've had in mind since acquiring the site in 2018.

I hope to have to more concrete news coming soon.  I apologize to anyone whom I haven't answered lately.  I've been putting all my free time towards this project and haven't have much opportunity to be online.

Best Regards,
CPMF Admin

Login with username, password and session length