Author
Topic: Vintage ATM photo  (Read 5946 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: May 03, 2022, 12:55:25 pm »

Hi,

Check out this vintage photo of a CIBC "Instant Teller" from 1984.

I remember when these first came out and how my grandmother was amazed that she could order cash from a machine instead of waiting in line for a real teller!   :D

Check out the vintage multicolour $20s and $1s too...

Dean

AJG
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 12:19:49 pm »

You mean to say the CIBC ATMs dispensed $1 bills back in 1984?  I'd be surprised if they did.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 01:23:59 pm »

I remember that tiny little screen about 1cm tall, that you could swivel to see the LED display.
I also remember all the banks had clever names for their ATMs back then.

CIBC = Instant Teller
TD = TD 360 and then Green Machine
BMO = Instabank
RBC = Bankette and then Personal Touch Banking
Scotiabank = Quickstop

I think they've all dropped these now?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 11:14:15 pm »

Also, they had a plexiglas pane that would slide up when you inserted your card.  And your receipt was actually a pre-cut, card stock piece

Marc :)
AJG
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 08:54:21 am »

Around 1985, Canada Trust's ATMs were called JohnnyCash machines.  I even remember seeing a commercial advertising for such ATMs on YouTube some years ago - and the country singer of the same name was in the commercial, implying that he had no problem with his name being used for TDs ATMs, so chances are no lawsuit was filed by he.
shrek999
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 07:06:53 pm »

I remember when they had business fares with the ability to own independent cash machines, I checked one show out and they tacked on a lot of costs as you had to follow the banks processes and brinks servicing of the machine.  Back then it sounded like a lot of up front costs, now the young people could care less about the service fees associated. Would be a good business now. You could go through all the notes and look for the a special serial number!!!

Login with username, password and session length