Author
Topic: Places not accepting real cash anymore  (Read 308 times)
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: June 15, 2022, 08:34:05 pm »

Hi Member

Long time to chat with you all.  I wanted to give you a little incite on what I recently saw at a local university. Some of their retail service areas  ( gift shop, food outlets vending machine ) do not accept cash.  They only accept credit card and debit. 
So you noticed any other areas who are "cashless"?

cheers
Polarbear :)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 12:48:46 pm »

I am cashless ….🥲

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 09:05:51 pm »

Yeah, we noticed a lot of personal cash check outs have been removed & in their place, automated check outs (for credit/debit).

Shoppers & even Value Village (discount used goods store) had several staff axed over this.  Usually one cashier will take cash & the rest are cashless -so yeah, a disturbing trend that's just getting worse.

BTW: welcome back!  ;)

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 08:58:46 am »

Hi Member

Long time to chat with you all.  I wanted to give you a little incite on what I recently saw at a local university. Some of their retail service areas  ( gift shop, food outlets vending machine ) do not accept cash.  They only accept credit card and debit. 
So you noticed any other areas who are "cashless"?

cheers
Polarbear :)

Scotiabank Arena in Toronto is cashless, but they have these mahines that will take cash and spit out a card that you can use in the debit machines at the concession or souvenir stands.  It seems like a waste of resources to do that; if the machines take cash and convert it, then someone has to take the cash out of the machine and count it…wouldn’t it be easier to just accept the cash?

A coffee shop near my house now only accepts debit or credit; the last time I went in, I ordered and went to pay with a five dollar note.  The lady said that they no longer accept cash, so I left the coffee on the counter and left.

Businesses should always offer the option to pay in cash.  If they don’t, then they will lose my patronage.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 11:27:47 am »

Businesses should always offer the option to pay in cash.  If they don’t, then they will lose my patronage.
Yes, I'm 100% in that camp.  i find the forced option to use self-check outs now (credit/debit) super annoying & I have voiced my bias to a few managers (not that they care/nor can they do much about it).  But I still feel it would be good if more people spoke up against it (& it made me fell better at the time ha!).  ::)

I mean, with the exception of my mortgage, I have always kept out of debt by strictly using cash (& this conversion won't help future generations) IMO.  I admit I have done a lot of online shopping lately (& I have to really watch myself with that) but as far as day to day commerce goes, I still like to use cash to keep my spending down.

AJG
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 11:18:25 pm »

I personally think retailers and establishments going cashless is vital in this day and age.  Cash only attracts robbers and by switching to self-serve debit/credit card terminals it could pave the way for a new era with a drastic drop in cash thefts and panhandling (the latter of which I believe is a form of robbery).

Though I think panhandlers (which are on the rise from what I heard) will be quite unhappy.

I know Dominion stores in Newfoundland have several self-scan checkouts (and I do use them if I am there), but cashiers (who are unionized) went on strike a couple of years ago to protest job cuts and to reverse any layoffs, among their list of demands.  But I bet Loblaws (who owns the Dominion brand) will likely find a way to lay off all of the human cashiers in the years to come.

I wouldn't be shocked if Sobeys eventually introduces self-serve checkouts that do not accept cash.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:23:47 pm by AJG »
AJG
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 11:40:06 pm »

I will also add that the reason businesses are switching to self-serve checkouts and/or strictly debit/credit card only is likely due to all the big minimum wage hikes that have been happening over the years.  In order to pay the big increases in minimum wage, businesses have to lay off workers.  A sharp increase in minimum wage will result in layoffs in favour of automation.

I did learn that my province will be increasing minimum wage to $15 per hour in October 2023.  There is going to be a big hike in minimum wage in April next year.  It will be interesting to see what will come out of it in terms of jobs.  I can see the likelihood of further phasing in of self-serve checkouts and self-serve kiosks that will only accept debit and credit cards.

I have noticed that there are fewer new banknotes where I live so far this year.  Normally there'd be plenty of new prefixes from April to now,but not this time.  I will mention that, after many years, I finally got the first FZ* prefix in my province (FZG, to be exact, and for there to be a few new $20s, it does makes sense, given today's rapid inflation), and I also saw a few new $5s with ING.  Sadly, no new $10s where I live, and the  dry spell continues on.

I agree, because paying with cash is quite a lot cheaper than using debit card.  I withdraw so much cash to do me for two weeks, which is only one bank service fee as opposed to so many debit card payment transactions.  I use cash whenever I make payments and try to avoid using the debit card as much as possible.  It will be sad when the stores I go to become cashless, because it could eventually mean a heap of service fees in the span of a month if I use debit card frequently.

Unlike Dean, I will still go to any stores that switch to debit and credit card only, because I realize it could be the way of the future.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:48:18 pm by AJG »
Redlock
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 01:57:42 am »

I totally agree.

Login with username, password and session length