Author
Topic: Canadian Government Paper Money, 34th Edition 2023  (Read 301 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« on: August 25, 2022, 06:19:54 pm »

Available October 2022

Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 09:29:17 am »

Nice to see an oldie featured this year!  Do I get a free copy since I own the note?

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
swadams
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 05:22:34 pm »

[ img ]http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/sndb/sigtag.php?u=swadams[ /img ]
Canadian Bill
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2022, 09:29:05 pm »

I have moved this thread from General ... for comments and discussion ...

I received the new 2023 spiral bound guide on September 15, 2022.  When I scanning through it I saw little difference from the 2022 Guide and am wondering if anyone knows the “cut-off” date that Charlton Press “freezes” their data for an annual issue?

I ask this as the 2023, 34th edition of the guide does not include any continuation of prefixes, not even the $5 notes that have been added to the CPM SNDB. There is no update of known replacement notes or what prefixes they officially end with as the BoC has announced the discontinuation of their use, and there is NO mention of Timothy Lane as the Deputy Govenor of the BoC or his signature being issued.  The page numbering from 2022 to 2023 has not changed.   

I have found one line where values have changed while scanning error notes, but don’t see any changes for general note values after 1935.  I don’t question this.  It is what it is. 

As for the quality of the 2023 Guide itself, in comparison to the 2022 which was colourized on all pages and printed on quality glossy stock, in all honestly it appears as though the 2023 issue is a literal ‘photocopy’ of the 2022, onto non-glossy paper, using black and white ink on the data pages, and coloured ink to copy the pages with colour photos of banknotes on them.  All I can say is “hmmmm” and ask for comments.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 12:56:25 am by Canadian Bill »

Saving paper notes from the shredder ... one 'bill' at a time!! :)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 09:20:54 am »

I don't think there's any big "refresh" on these catalogues yearly but rather once every ___ (3-4?) years? Not sure what the exact interval is but the catalogues typically didn't change that much looking back. Books/catalogues are becoming less easy to sell so they're doing everything they can to save $.

Now the big question:
Have the editors/pricing panel addressed the scarcity (13 discovered) of Macklem-Carney FTH $10?

(They keep bumping up the BV of the more common Macklem-Poloz signature variety (688 discovered/reported as of today).

I asked this question nearly a year ago under the SNDB section:
https://cdnpapermoney.com/index.php?topic=15862.0

Canadian Bill
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 10:18:08 am »

They did address the FTH prefix issue:

M/C is now 40 UNC and M/P is now 14 UNC
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 10:24:16 am by Canadian Bill »

Canadian Bill
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 10:45:56 am »

"I don't think there's any big "refresh" on these catalogues yearly but rather once every ___ (3-4?) years?" 

There have been so many new prefixes reported over the pandemic, etc. I don't see how they would not have done this.

The book says that Tiff Macklem has been the Governor from June 2020 to date, which is incorrect as Lane has been in there for a while.  I can see if there have not been signature changes, but there have been.

AZ
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 01:18:14 pm »

"The book says that Tiff Macklem has been the Governor from June 2020 to date, which is incorrect as Lane has been in there for a while.  I can see if there have not been signature changes, but there have been.
You are wrong, Macklem is still the Governor. As Carolyn Wilkins left the post of Senior Deputy Governor in December 2020, Timothy Lane’s signature was used on the banknotes printed in 2021 though he technically was not a Senior Deputy Governor. The newest Senior Deputy Governor, Carolyn Rogers, started in December 2021.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 05:05:01 pm »

There have been so many new prefixes reported over the pandemic, etc. I don't see how they would not have done this.
- I am not disagreeing with you but merely pointing out what I've observed in the past. 
They did address the FTH prefix issue:

M/C is now 40 UNC and M/P is now 14 UNC

They can take 5-6 years to fix the FTH $10 (& I would be very happy to buy a $40 for an M-C FTH!) so no surprise they haven't addressed the rapid changes of the signature combos/new prefixes for the $5. The problem is they want the new editions to be ready too early too.

Canadian Bill
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 12:57:23 am »

My apologies for "being wrong" and I thank you for all of your input to supply the correct information. 

Carolyn A. Wilkins served as Senior Deputy Governor from May 2014 to December 9, 2020.
Carolyn Rogers was appointed to be Senior Deputy Governor effective December 15, 2021.

Timothy Lane was appointed Deputy Governor effective February 2009 retiring on September 16, 2022.

Clearly there was a "need" to use this "non-Senior Deputy's" signature on notes for less a year, likely as they ran out during the pandemic.  I think this would be a significant notation within this issue.

AZ ... You help me make my point ... if all of this info would have been available to CP before printing, we would not be debating it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 01:11:06 am by Canadian Bill »

Login with username, password and session length