Author
Topic: Queen Elizabeth II, face on Canada's $20 note, dead at 96  (Read 5985 times)
AJG
« on: September 08, 2022, 02:35:37 pm »

The longest-serving monarch of Canada and England has passed away today.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/queen-elizabeth-ii-longest-reigning-monarch-in-british-history-dead-at-96/ar-AA11BNeN?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6981bbfbb7f948378dec5838c4cbde64

It looks like, for the first time since the 1954, the Bank of Canada will likely be changing the portrait on our $20 bills and coinage in the near future. I can see a new vertical $20 bill looming.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 02:39:01 pm by AJG »
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 12:30:09 pm »

Last time the monarch changed, it took nearly a year before coins were changed, and more than two years for bank notes. I expect we will see a new $5 first (HOW long have we been waiting for that now??) before a new $20.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
AL-Bob
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 04:06:27 pm »

The million dollar question is, will Charles' face ever make it onto the $20 (or any other denomination) or will this be the opportunity to get rid of the monarch altogether?  Coins are obviously another story.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 04:27:10 pm »

It took us 2 years to put QEII on the banknotes (& what a devilish enterprise that became!  ;)). 

Great Britain & Jamaica took 8 years. I think the average was 2-4 years. The main thing is it doesn't happen overnight.

I don't think it will take 2 years since the technology is different today but I would guess it will take up to 2 years. I suspect the transition will depend on a number of factors (when the BoC feels like a refresh is in order for the $20). 

The vertical $5 was supposed to come out in 2021 wasn't it? It has taken forever. I think with the successes of the Better Than Cash Alliance, Covid & CDN's rapid acceptance of going digital (less need of cash), self-check outs imposed on us, there won't be any rush- but I could be wrong.

AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 09:13:24 pm »

I think we will see the new vertical $20 notes in 4 years at the earliest. Until then we will likely see another print run of QEII $20 notes with current design, possibly followed by the current design with Charles or another person.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 09:36:37 am »

I think we will see the new vertical $20 notes in 4 years at the earliest. Until then we will likely see another print run of QEII $20 notes with current design, possibly followed by the current design with Charles or another person.
-You could be right.  Last year, when I would withdraw 100 Twenties, I was surprised at how many 35% were still old BS_ or BI_ (2012) prefixes, about 35% FI_ FV_ FS_ M-C & then about 20-30% newer W-P (FW_, FV_, FY_) and about 5-10% (or less) of W-P FZ_ notes.  My point being that new prefixes from the TWENTY denomination are being held in escrow & not being released like the other more updated ($5, $50 & $100) denominations.  There are still a huge amount of FZ_ notes to be released yet & they are not wearing out like the paper (just not being used much).

AZ
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 02:01:11 pm »

-You could be right.  Last year, when I would withdraw 100 Twenties, I was surprised at how many 35% were still old BS_ or BI_ (2012) prefixes, about 35% FI_ FV_ FS_ M-C & then about 20-30% newer W-P (FW_, FV_, FY_) and about 5-10% (or less) of W-P FZ_ notes.  My point being that new prefixes from the TWENTY denomination are being held in escrow & not being released like the other more updated ($5, $50 & $100) denominations.  There are still a huge amount of FZ_ notes to be released yet & they are not wearing out like the paper (just not being used much).
To add some suspense… This image of a Wilkins-Macklem $20 comes from a Chinese collector. Could be a fake, but what would be the point? It has been a while since the latest print run (FZ_ notes) has been issued, we may see a new print run soon.

AZ
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 07:25:56 pm »

Here is the new design!

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 09:16:14 am »

Thanks for sharing AZ! Apparently, she had a great sense of humour so I'm sure she would approve:
https://youtu.be/u6CuboZoc38

-That $20 with his smile is pretty amusing!  :D :D

Here is the Bank of Canada's "Portraits in Time: link:
https://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/bank-note-series/commemorative-notes/portraits-in-time/

-But on a more serious note (or should I speculate), the question remains whether the BoC will use new signatures (Rogers-Macklem for eg) with FZT as the change-over? Will the remaining FZT be held back to support the new changing of the guard?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:48:26 am by walktothewater »

AZ
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 10:59:50 am »

But on a more serious note (or should I speculate), the question remains whether the BoC will use new signatures (Rogers-Macklem for eg) with FZT as the change-over? Will the remaining FZT be held back to support the new changing of the guard?
Notes printed in 2020 have Wilkins-Macklem signatures.
Notes printed in 2021 have Lane-Macklem signatures.
Notes printed in 2022 or later will have Rogers-Macklem signatures.

It is entirely possible that a new batch of QEII $20 notes with prefixes FZT-FZZ and FL_ was produced during any of these years so the last QEII notes may have any of the 3 signature combinations. If that is the case I am pretty certain that these notes will not be held back and destroyed and will be issued sometime soon.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2022, 12:00:05 pm »

CBC article about this topic. The media is notoriously bad at writing currency-related articles, there always seem to be plenty of factual errors. But this one is actually quite good:  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/king-charles-canadian-money-1.6578839

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Just Bank Notes
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2022, 10:30:48 am »

The Queen will be buried in Windsor Castle tomorrow.  I think that this is the perfect vignette for her from the 1935 series of bank notes.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 05:10:04 pm »

This is my favourite portrait of her (& probably why she remained on our $20):

Login with username, password and session length