Author
Topic: Rogers-Macklem notes issued  (Read 3756 times)
AZ
« on: December 29, 2022, 03:29:15 pm »

Rogers-Macklem $10 with prefix FFL has been found in Toronto. Bank of Canada has responded to a query about the changeover: the last $10 with Wilkins-Macklem signatures is FFK8189999 and the first $10 with Rogers-Macklem signatures is FFK8190000.

Redlock
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 02:16:15 am »

Thanks for the information  :)
AZ
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 08:52:07 am »

Great news!  Makes me wonder about the Lane signatures and if they are going to end up being rarer in the long run
We are talking about 70 mln $5, 120 mln $50 and 200 mln $100 notes printed with the Lane signature. They will never be scarce. Fewer notes with Wilkins-Macklem or Macklem-Poloz signatures were produced.
AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 09:59:31 pm »

Makes me wonder if these entries into the SNDB that should have been "Rogers" signatures were entered in error?  Wondering if Rag Picker, whitenite and may_serolf might chime in????
Yes, all these entries are errors. There have been entry errors for other denominations as well over the years.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 10:33:58 pm »

The SNDB has been updated to include Rogers/Macklem and the confirmed changeover.

The erroneous entries have been removed.

Thank you for the information, AZ!
Redlock
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2022, 02:26:44 am »

the last $10 with Wilkins-Macklem signatures is FFK8189999 and the first $10 with Rogers-Macklem signatures is FFK8190000.

Still a newbie, still trying to learn about the serial numbering. So, please, forgive me for asking.
If I understand it correctly, there have been 40.000.000 $10 notes with the Wilkins-Macklem signature been printed (FFF, FFG, FFH, FFJ). Moreover, there are the two changeover series FFE and FFK which add another 9.145.000 and 8.190.000 to the total. Right?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 05:26:26 am by Redlock »
AJG
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 11:04:02 am »

For there to be only four full-run prefixes and two partial changeover prefixes, which total less than 50 million new $10 notes printed, that seems to be a big drop in new $10s printed as opposed to 15 to 20 years ago when there were roughly 120 million new $10 notes printed at a time.  Could this lower number of $10 notes printed be due to a large number of banks across the country having discontinued ordering $10 notes due to drastically low demand, and the demand dropped even further this past year due to mass inflation?

It makes it seem like I'm losing interest in $10 bills because of not being able to get any new ones for many, many years, and the same $10s juggling around for a long time.  I still don't see very many Desmond $10s in my region to this day (MacDonald $10s still outnumber Desmond $10s greatly where I am).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 11:08:28 am by AJG »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 01:14:01 pm »

For there to be only four full-run prefixes and two partial changeover prefixes, which total less than 50 million new $10 notes printed, that seems to be a big drop in new $10s printed as opposed to 15 to 20 years ago when there were roughly 120 million new $10 notes printed at a time.  Could this lower number of $10 notes printed be due to a large number of banks across the country having discontinued ordering $10 notes due to drastically low demand,

- I believe you are correct in that the demand of TENS has dropped significantly, especially after the successful "dirty cash" campaign by the Better than Cash alliance during the pandemic. Any time I used cash during the pandemic I got lectured at the check-outs how I should be using my credit/debit card. Note, that the BoC also skipped the "Lane-Macklem" signature combo b/c demand was never dire to get new TENS out there (as it was for the $5, $50 & $100). The only reason $20 weren't affected was due to the long (massive) 2nd (or 3rd) print run they did with the W-P signature combo (up to the FZT prefix) after the 2015 notes. 

- I have taken out up to 2 bundles (200) $10 notes since the 2018 Vertical TENS appeared & it has been a constant struggle to get the new series in the GTA (Ontario) region as well.  I ordered new bundles (up to 5) when they first came out & got fairly decent compliance up to about 1.5 months after their release.  By that time, most tellers were starting to give me the cold shoulder & telling me that they could no longer promise me new notes. Some of my branches just told me they won't order new notes unless I wanted to pay a fee. What I discovered was that the main branches (distribution centres) would only release new TENS about 3 times per year.  Usually in Dec/January, March-April, August/Sept & we'd see a few new batches released.  On just about every other time I have withdrawn TENS I would be getting about 70-80% old 2013 (including about 4-8 2017) & 20-30% first versions of the 2018. (Some of these old 2013 notes were very beat up & should have been shredded with lots of ink missing on the substrate).  I finally began seeing the new W-M signature FFE & FFF last spring.

I've also discovered that the big Banks have not rehired staff to former pandemic levels & that most often when I do order a bundle here (& there) recently, their counters jam, they look at me like I just walked off a Zombie film set/location (with make up on) & the withdrawal process has taken about double the time it used to (pre-pandemic).  I almost certain to get a  new trainees serve me (80% of the time they must deposit my money &
then withdraw it) then require a check with their manager, etc, etc. So now a days, recycling cash has become almost as painful (& monotonous) as a trip to the dentist! :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 01:17:48 pm by walktothewater »

AJG
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 11:29:36 am »

I almost certain to get a  new trainees serve me (80% of the time they must deposit my money &
then withdraw it) then require a check with their manager, etc, etc. So now a days, recycling cash has become almost as painful (& monotonous) as a trip to the dentist! :D

Why would they deposit the money then withdraw it right after? It is neither a deposit nor a withdrawal, and you shouldn't be charged a service fee for a false withdrawal.

Plus, cashing government cheques or exchanging bills for other bills over the counter is a free transaction.  Always has, always will be.

If they're going to insist that they deposit the money and withdraw it right after, then they may as well establish a service fee, plus I can safely say it is a good thing I discontinued exchanging money over the counter in 2012 while I did.  I only go to the bank when I need to go to the (select cash) ATMs now (as long as there are no panhandlers in sight).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 11:33:01 am by AJG »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2023, 12:01:46 pm »

Why would they deposit the money then withdraw it right after? It is neither a deposit nor a withdrawal, and you shouldn't be charged a service fee for a false withdrawal.

I know! They want to charge me a service fee at any opportunity. However, I have a service fee free account (its old) and I just shrug my shoulders b/c I know I won't get charge. Their methods of trying to put me off with the whole deposit -withdrawal rigmarole (& implied fee) gets tiresome (to say the least). I have felt really put off by my TD branch, the trainees, the rigmaroles & the only reason I don't change is b/c I have that account with no fees.  I usually get much better service at BMO which typically exchange the cash (don't do the deposit/withdrawal time-consuming nonsense) but that account has fees.  I tried CIBC years ago and started getting the same rigmarole so dropped them. It's really "loud & clear" that most banks don't want people using cash (IMO). They just want their service charges, fees & interest from mortgages.

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 10:42:19 am »

Don't get me going on TD. I have been a customer of theirs for a long time, RRSP, Business account but lately my dealings have had me at a point where I was ready to close all my accounts From their handling of an estate account for a close friend to my own Business account."Banks are all the same" I find RBC much better. 
AJG
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 07:45:20 am »

I personally think that banks charging fees for false withdrawals, with regard to exchanging cash and cashing government cheques, is a form of robbery.  They charge a service fee and rob them  of millions of dollars collectively.

I called the Scotiabank about this back in 2014, and even told them that this is an act of robbery.  The person on the other end told me "I wouldn't call it a robbery if I were you".  I was also informed that the false deposit/withdrawal was for the purpose of a paper trail.  I told them that cashing a government cheque over the counter is a free transaction - always has, always will be, and I asked the Scotiabank to reverse the service fee for the false withdrawal.  They did, but out of concern they may do it again, is every reason why I prefer direct deposit these days.

I remember learning that RBC waives/waived the withdrawal fee whenever a customer withdraws a payroll deposit.  Is/was this true?
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 07:34:15 pm »

Hi,
About 2 years every weeks I take 10 000$ of 10$ I always said to the cash teller if it's possible to have unc brick he tell me he always ask about unc but I always receive a circulated notes.After I change it for 200x50$.For now the thing I see ,do you remember whe the FFG prefix when people think it will be scare prefix,it's not,but the first FFG I found was below 100 000,I have many of those,some in 500 000 and after it pass at 4 700 000 I do not found at 5million and more.This week I found many in 2 340 000 no in 1m and no 3m,in futur I'm sure it going out the other serial #?I also found low number below 1000.The FFG the signature is Wil-Mc and I found FFM-FFS-FFT-FFU Rodger-Mc well circulated.
They put a serie out in circulation far and before of FFG?It's just a question of time to see all prefix I think.
About the 50$ it's near the same like 10$.I found many HHA,GMZ,GMM,GMN...etc but for now I never found GMP prefix?Where are they?
Is this the same with 5$,20$ and 100$?
Sorry for the english I'm french canadian.
Claude   
AJG
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 10:31:50 pm »

Apparently, since the Scotiabank ATMs have replaced $5 bills with $10 bills in recent months, I did get some fresh $10 notes every time.  The first time was not so lucky (MacDonald variety, FTT prefix), but after that I got numerous occurrences of Desmond $10s in the FFL and FFM prefixes.  So not only are the Desmond $10s officially here full time now, but I am now seeing Rogers-Macklem signature notes with a narrower time gap between the first release in Canada and the release to Newfoundland (four or five months).  FFM was first reported in Canada back in May (and the most recently reported of the new Rogers/Macklem prefixes), and FFN and FFR are the two outstanding prefixes from this print run that have yet to see the light of day in Canada.

There seems to be a surge of $10 bills in circulation as of lately and lack of new $5 bills out my way so far this year, though there are still plenty of recycled $5 bills in circulation to date.  Because of mass inflation in recent years, I feel as if the number of $5 bills in circulation has reached its peak, and the $10 bill's dark period may be winding down now.  It would be interesting to see if the number of $10 bills will overshadow the previous peak from the 1980s.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 10:36:29 pm by AJG »
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 05:46:33 pm »

Hi,
About two weeks in 10$ viola it start to have many FFG in 2 millions range and over but for now I do not see FFG over 5 millions to 10 millions?The higher prefix I found it's FFU.
If you have information let us know.
Thank you.
Claude

Login with username, password and session length