Author
Topic: "CAMEL TOE" TOONIES 2004 & 1996  (Read 1568 times)
Canadian Bill
  • "Forever a Newbie"
« on: March 06, 2023, 09:16:44 pm »

First 4 photos 2004 CT Toonie ... Second 4 photos 1996 CT Toonie?

The only time I don't pay cash is at self check-out, unless the machine takes cash (like grocery stores).  So I'm always examining my change. This morning I got a toonie in my change for my coffee and when looking at all of it the toonie stood out as looking a weird.  The outer ring looked really nice, was really glossy in natural light, yet the center metal section looked off colour making me think it was well circulated or something ... after all it was a 2004. 

So after work I sit down with my magnifying glass and have a good look at this toonie, and as soon as I see the most obvious "camel toe" characteristic, and show it to my friend.  I start searching through my other change to find him and example of a NOT FAKE toonie, and stumble across the 1996 toonie in my purse, also with the distinct camel toe characteristic, but also the 'depth' or strength of the stamping of letters/numbers on the 1996 are really weak (see the "2" of "2 DOLLARS" and the "II" of QE II".

Would love confirmation that these are in fact fake CT toonies, and wonder what is the likelihood I would find two fake toonies in a matter of days? Is this odd, or could they be being NEWLY currently circulated?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 09:31:51 pm by Canadian Bill »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 10:57:50 pm »

All coins shown are guaranteed fake "Camel Toe" toonies.

For more information, visit cameltoetoonies.ca.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Canadian Bill
  • "Forever a Newbie"
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 11:05:18 pm »

Thanks for confirming that Brent.  The next question is ... with only 5 million issued, what are they worth??? LOL
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 11:42:55 pm »

Nothing - They're counterfeit.  By definition they have no value.  Bring them to your bank and ask for genuine coins.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Canadian Bill
  • "Forever a Newbie"
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 12:48:22 am »

---- Redacted by Admin ----
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:30:28 am by admin »
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 10:06:18 am »

---- Redacted by Admin ----

Counterfeiting money carries serious penalties in Canada. Creating, passing & possession of counterfeit money can land you up to 14 years in prison. Although the maximum for passing fiat coins is 2 years, all of these offences will gain you a criminal record, making it difficult to travel abroad and obtain gainful employment.  The Criminal Code of Canada states:

450 Possession
450 Possession, etc., of counterfeit money
450. Every one who, without lawful justification or excuse, the proof of which lies on him,
(a) buys, receives or offers to buy or receive,
(b) has in his custody or possession, or
(c) introduces into Canada counterfeit money is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

I am locking this topic for multiple reasons (a) the collecting and possession of counterfeit coins and currency is not condoned and any such items in ones possession should be turned over to the bank or law enforcement; (b) the focus of posts on this forum should be centered around Paper Money, although leeway may be given at times to related topics that may be of interest to numismatic collectors in general.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:31:41 am by admin »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009

Login with username, password and session length