Author
Topic: Scotiabank's "Digital Hour"  (Read 6078 times)
AJG
« on: April 06, 2023, 01:02:19 pm »

I learned a few weeks ago that Scotiabank had launched what is called "digital hour" in which the last hour of the business day, customers are advised to do their banking through the ATMs unless they are unable to use technology due to physical disability, old age, or being "technologically-impaired".

Could this so-called "digital hour" evolve into a permanent all-day thing, in which the vast majority of customers will be required to use the ATMs for transactions that customers 20 or more years ago used over-the-counter teller service for?  I did learn from a friend of mine that such move, if it does happen, would be cheaper and make bank lineups move faster - at least she thinks.

And it also makes me wonder if other banking giants, such as RBC, TD, etc., could follow suit?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 01:10:07 pm »

The branch of CIBC that my family has used since 1946 has drastically reduced its in-person hours.  They have teller service three days out of five each week and they close fully for one hour at lunch time--right when most people have time to go to the bank!--I see this as a cost saving measure and all banks will follow suit.

Login with username, password and session length