Author
Topic: FEK - Security Fibre-Free Note  (Read 7074 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: January 13, 2004, 03:30:08 am »

This is pretty interesting....I went through some uncirculated FEK $10 notes and found one note with no security (fibres) threads on the entire front side (portrait side) of the note.  Those security fibres are those "hair-like eye lashes" that appears on the Journey series notes.  This note is a perfect note with not one security thread whatsoever.  On the side of the war memorial, only a few security threads are on there.  

Because I am so use to seeing the Journey series notes with fibres, it's so unusual to see a "fibre thread-free" note.  

Anyhow, this is the first one that I have ever heard or seen.  Has anyone else come across one?

Smile from your heart.  ;D
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 11:27:42 am »

Are you referring to the blue fibres or the red-under-UV fibres?

Since the placement of these fibres is completely random (ie: a whole lot mixed in during the original manufacture of a big roll of this paper), I doubt we have any right to call this an error.  Perhaps an unlikely coincidence?  Also, the fibres might actually be there, but not near the surface of the paper or not in areas of the note where they might stand out.  Check for some hiding around or behind the portrait, near the coat of arms and in the top-right near the flag.  Those look like spots where the fibres could hide from the casual inspection.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 12:30:38 pm »

There are no blue fibres anywhere on this note, not even a trace.  As for the red fibres which glow under UV light, I have to determine this, since it's not visible to the naked eye.  

I know that the blue fibres are added to the notes after the printing process occurs, because they appear on top of the inked notes.  

Smile from your heart.  ;D
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 01:34:32 pm »

I beg to differ with you about when the blue fibres become part of the note.  I can't imagine why the Bank would embark upon a stage in the printing process whereby they randomly place a small handful of fibres on either side of the banknote after it has been printed.

I greatly believe that the fibres are part of the paper well before it even arrives at either of the CBN or BABN.  Note that I am not speaking with proof of my belief.  I have no proof one way or the other, but this is the only explanation that makes any sense to me.

However, if someone can prove me wrong, then I welcome further information about it.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 06:01:25 pm »

About these fibers, it would be very complicated to put the fibers after the printing process, and these fibers would wear away very easily.  The fibers are in fact put on the paper during the making process.   You can verify that the fibers are beneath the ink just by removing one of these with a very sharp knife and small tweezers.  Choose a very apparent fiber so it is on the surface, otherwise, the fiber is slightly embedded in the paper are difficult to remove.

I made this and you can see the result on the high resolution scans I made. Once the fiber removed, you can see that there is no ink beneath.

The fact that you find a note without any fiber is simply a case of (bad)luck.  These fibers are probably sprinkled over a layer of paper paste just before passing in the drying rolls.  And it's possible that there was some clogging of the sprinkler for some moment and at this moment the sheet got much less fibers than normal.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 08:16:01 pm »

I would have guessed that the fibres would have been dumped into the paper pulp before it was dried and pressed into sheets.  I don't know a whole lot about the paper making process, but that's my best guess.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 10:43:25 pm »

Your guess would be correct Brent. The fibers are added to the pulp mixture.
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 11:04:37 pm »

Thanks for the precision, BWJM, it would be easier like that.

Login with username, password and session length